Standalone through Remote Desktop access and VMs

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

AlbertAA

Standalone through Remote Desktop access and VMs

Post by AlbertAA » Fri May 29, 2020 12:52 pm

I am experiencing a problem with the display of images when accessing my standalone/exe via Remote Desktop Connection (or one of MS Azure Virtual Machines).

Images that normally display well are not visible anymore when I start the exe on the server and see it via Remote Desktop.
If I set the quality down to 8 bits (in the exe I do it by changing in Properties/Compatibility/Reduced Color Mode) the pictures become visible, but the quality is very low.

After having checked that it is NOT an issue of server configuration or Remote Desktop configuration (other apps work well even through RDC) what remains to me is to check if the problem is related to the standalone itself, and if somebody has already encountered this type of issues and has an idea or suggestions on what I should change to make it work properly.

PS: For your info I am operating in France and Switzerland and developing educational simulations since many years. I must admit that although I purchased a LiveCode license some years ago, I am still using Revolution version 2 point 6 to develop and then create standalones (which I then distribute in many management schools and universities world wide).

Thank you in advance for any insights
- albert
INSEAD

Klaus

Re: Standalone through Remote Desktop access and VMs

Post by Klaus » Fri May 29, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Albert,

very strange!? Are you using referenced or imported images?

Best

Klaus

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri May 29, 2020 1:38 pm

Since this is really NOT off-topic, I will move this thread to the beginners section.

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Fri May 29, 2020 2:47 pm

AlbertAA wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 12:52 pm
I am still using Revolution version 2 point 6 to develop and then create standalones (which I then distribute in many management schools and universities world wide).
Might be time to upgrade to LC 9 ?

Most of the RDP and graphical performance-related issues can be due to the activation or not of Remote FX.
Or you can try the acceleratedRendering feature of LiveCode to see it makes a difference.

Or take a look at the Experience settings .
Right-click the RDP connection icon (I have it saved on my desktop), select "Edit", then the "experience" tab, and change "detect connection quality automatically" to "LAN (10 Mbps or higher)"
I use terminals application on windows to make my RDP connections. It has some features you could use to test with.
https://github.com/Terminals-Origin/Terminals

Maybe no solution here but this is all I could think off.

Regards,

Paul
Terminals.png

AlbertAA

Post by AlbertAA » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks a lot. Very useful hints.

> In the meantime I have followed your advice, got a new license and moved from Rev 2 point 6 to LC 9.
> Currently I am still testing if the display is different in the case I copy/paste the pictures directly (currently I specify image sources). If copy/pasting the pictures directly rather than reading them from files does not resolve the problem on the VM I will check out the Experience setting and hope to find a solution there.

Thank you again
-albert

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”