Large scale cheap storage deal...

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Large scale cheap storage deal...

Post by bogs » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:12 pm

I don't know how many of you are into cheap large scale storage deals, but I stumbled onto this one at the local Sam's Club, and thought I'd pass it on to anyone else that hadn't seen it.

It is a 2 TB Seagate backup plus external drive. Technically, this is a Mac/ Windows back up drive, however, since I primarily use 'nix, I wiped that software off of it since I bought it for the space.

It says it has a max throughput of 120 MB/s, and that is probably true, but during my testing (transferring 249 GB of vm's), it was consistenly averaging 80 MB/s, probably fast enough to actually run an OS on comfortably, although maybe not fast enough for gaming, if your into that :P

Will test running some video streaming from it later on today, but for a 2 TB drive around $60., I got no complaints or problems noticed.

ClipArtGuy

Re: Large scale cheap storage deal...

Post by ClipArtGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 am

If you need a bit more space, I've been using a couple 4Tb Western Digital "My Passport" drives for the last couple years with no problems. They go for about $99 on Amazon.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 am

Thank you for the tip! What kind of transfer rates are they running? About the same? Better? Worse?

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:42 am

Something else I just found out quite by accident is that you can put the community IDE on these external drives, and use the IDE from any system running the same OS (tested on Win and Lin, not sure how it would work out on Mac).

I have now moved all my IDEs to it along with the project files, it is the ultimate in portability so far :D

Return to “Off-Topic”