Enabling 'USB debugging' on lollipop

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Enabling 'USB debugging' on lollipop

Post by dave.kilroy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:53 pm

My new test device (a reconditioned nexus 4) arrived this morning and whilst setting it up I had to do a google search to enable 'USB debugging' - so thought I might include the steps involved here to save others a bit of time... on your Android device running lollipop:

1 - go to home screen
2 - open app drawer
3 - open settings
4 - scroll down to ‘About phone’ and tap it
5 - scroll down to ‘Build number’ and tap it 7 times (seriously - tap it 7 times!)
6 - you should get a “you are now a developer” message
7 - go back to ‘About phone’
8 - scroll to the new ‘Developer options’ option and tap it
9 - scroll down to ‘USB debugging’
10 - tap to turn this on - and you'll need a few other taps to give permission to trust your machine etc
11 - you should now see a little icon in top-left of screen indicating ‘USB debugging’ is active

Also, don’t forget to enable ‘Unknown sources’ in Settings/Security.

It's been just over two years since I last developed on Android and I am very impressed how much improved Android is from when I last used it, how good the hardware on the nexus is, and of course LiveCode's swishier abilities since LC 5.5 :)

I'm sure I'll stumble over just as many trip-wires as I did during my last play with Android - but I'm looking forward to it (watch out for my cries for help in the 'Android Deployment' forum...)

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

Return to “Android Deployment”