Should I try to an application to learn LC??

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

ValiantCuriosity

Should I try to an application to learn LC??

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi again,

Since I played around with the Story Lesson last week. I learned a lot about strings, fields, storing variables and more. Thank you, again, for your help.

The Story Lesson gave me a thought for a more sophisticated application. However, I'm not sure if trying to tackle a larger application is a good idea for a beginner. I notice a number of beginners who have asked for help in forum on writing X or Y or Z app/game. They posted once or twice and then seemed to ride off into the sunset. Maybe they were faster learners than I am and they whipped their idea right together without any further help, but by now, you have a feel for my lack of coding talent. Yes, I have created apps in HTML5,CSS, and Javascript, but I wouldn't say that I'm a great master. As I said before, I'm a cobbler. I don't always understand what or why I'm doing something, but it works. My App store apps are esoteric and not huge sellers, but I do have a dedicated group of followers. I enjoy hearing from them and knowing how the apps help them out.

Anyway, here is the basic idea of what I'd like to do:

This app would be a score/record keeper. It would allow the user to put in information and save the information. Some of the information would be photos/images and some of the information would be text/fields for data entry. I suppose the information would need to be stored in arrays. (I don't know LC arrays yet.) The information would be non-perishable and would be saved when the app is closed.(Thinking created objects here) The app should also be able to run on iOS. In my reading, it looks like that shouldn't be problematic, but...

Do you think this would be too much for a beginner like me to bite off? (Ponder my pestering you in the forum) or would it be a good learning experience?

Most of you have been using LC for many years or were "naturals". You have worked with hundreds of beginners. I value your thoughts.

TIA
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Should I try to an application to learn LC??

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:25 pm

ValiantCuriosity wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm
Do you think this would be too much for a beginner like me to bite off? (Ponder my pestering you in the forum) or would it be a good learning experience?
For true beginners, I agree with your caution about biting off too much too soon, focusing on discrete skill-building examples first.

But having watched your progress here, you're so quickly moving to intermediate that I have no doubt you would do well with the project you described.

Yes, there are new things to learn, but you're clearly not afraid to learn, and just as clearly you seem to appreciate the value in building a sample stack to poke around with new things like arrays before attempting to put them into production.

So FWIW, given your learning style, quick-study nature, and positive attitude, I'd say go for it.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

@FourthWorld

Richard,
You made my day! Thank you.
:D

I'll see what I can do.
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

I agree with Richard, you don't gain if you don't try. Worst that can happen is you learn something new and try again :D

I also wonder if you ever came across this set of tutorials (Cyril's site).

They lead you through the learning process pretty gently, and they have a score keeping tutorial mixed in there, as well as many other things. They are also very easy to complete in spare time, probably 10 mins or less depending on your reading speed.

Another nice gentle flow though set of lessons was done by Nick Antonaccio.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm

ValiantCuriosity wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm
I'll see what I can do.
What's the worst that can happen? If you succeed easily, you'll have an app. If you get stuck along the way, you'll have to come back here to spend more time with us. Looks like a win either way. :)
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”