various problems playing audio (MP3) on Windows

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

benr_mc

various problems playing audio (MP3) on Windows

Post by benr_mc » Tue May 16, 2006 4:56 pm

I'm trying to play some mp3 audio files from Revolution on Windows.

After various interesting excursions and stumbles which I'll report elsewhere, I've finally got a stack which works OK on my Virtual PC Windows 2000, and on a Windows XP machine, in both cases under StackRunner (the old 2.6 variant). In all cases these are machines without Quicktime, so it's definitely (if I understand things correctly) being played through WMP.

When I attempt to use it on my actual target machine, which is running Windows XP Embedded, at the point that my stack attempts to set the filename of the player object to the path to the file, the result is "could not open video player".

The stack can play audioclips embedded in it. Windows Media Player is on the machine, and can play the test mp3 file fine. However, Windows Media Player was not originally installed as part of the OS - it was downloaded subsequently, so it may not be in the expected location - whatever that is.

Questions:

a) is there anywhere on Windows that Revolution logs details of problems it experiences - on the Mac I know that I can use the Console app to debug issues with eg database drivers, is there an equivalent on Windows?

b) does Windows Media Player need to be installed in a particular location for Rev to be able to use it?

c) are there any other tips, known gotchas, etc?

Many thanks,

Ben

pevensen

dontUseQT

Post by pevensen » Thu May 18, 2006 7:10 pm

Are you setting dontUseQT to false? According to the doc, you need to set it to false to force Revolution to use the built-in MCI video player on Windows.
Peter Evensen
[url]http://www.PetersRoadtoHealth.com[/url]

benr_mc

Post by benr_mc » Fri May 19, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response - I am setting dontUseQT to false in the openStack handler. (Again, this works on various other Windows setups; the issue is not about the stack, but about the Window setup - and how I debug the problem that Revolutino is happening.)

malte

Post by malte » Fri May 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi,

I think if you set the dontUseQT to false the engine is forced to use Quicktime. Have you tried true instead?

All the best,

Malte

benr_mc

Post by benr_mc » Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi Malte,

Thanks for responding.

Sorry, I posted in a hurry - I meant that the stack sets dontUseQT to TRUE. As I say, the stack is correct; it works fine on other machines running XP, which don't have QT. The problem is to do with the setup on the machine running XP Embedded; my guess is that on this machine, there need to be some files in places which they aren't; but I don't know which files, and I don't know if Rev is trying to tell me somewhere, if only I knew where (that is, the Win equivalent of Console on the Mac).

Return to “Multimedia”