LiveCode Server : list of web hosting services

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode Server : list of web hosting services

Post by bangkok » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:31 am

Do we have a list of web hosting services that propose LiveCode Server (to their customers) ?

Just found one :

http://www.hostm.com/web-hosting.m

RunRev seems very silent about LiveCode Server (I don't even know if there is a community version or not). Host M is speaking about community version.

In anycase, we should promote the Server version. it's a great tool.

edgore

Re: LiveCode Server : list of web hosting services

Post by edgore » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:37 pm

I am hoping that server is going to get more attention in the near future. I worry that currently it's not getting the same attention that desktop and mobile (esp. mobile) are. I keep finding bugs and inconsistencies between the server engine and the desktop engine that make it difficult to code, since I develop for a non-On-Rev server, so testing and debugging become very difficult.

It's also tough because the debugging tools for server only work with On-Rev, and I haven't seen any thing saying that is going to change in the future. If it doesn't it will stunt the growth of Server - people that are attracted to Live-code because of the ease of desktop development are not going to like losing debug when they go to Server, and not every project can be hosted on On-Rev (nothing I do with server can, since they are internal corporate apps).

There is a community version of Server - you can get to it from here - http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/server/ - I think there is a more friendly way to get at it also, but right now it seems I can't get to it because I am not a new customer or something. Even getting at the current commercial version is a chore - the Server links in the store are always a version or two behind the current release.

I agree that Server needs more promotion, but I am also hoping that as we chug towards the refactored, open source release we will see more attention paid what server's place is int he world and what is going to be needed to give it a change of successfully competing against entrenched options like PHP.

bangkok

Re: LiveCode Server : list of web hosting services

Post by bangkok » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Thanks for the link !

Anyway. I use Server for simple and repetitive tasks, such as processing SQL queries. So I never saw the inconsistencies you're talking about.

As for coding and debugging, I agree with you. I use Notepad to write... and when really my eyes have problem to see bugs... i copy and paste the code into LiveCode Desktop. :)

Return to “CGIs and the Server”