Where do I get this server?

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

CoffeeCone

Where do I get this server?

Post by CoffeeCone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Is it free? Or is it paid? I can't figure out where to get it. All the posts I see are talking about setting it up. Where do you actually get it?
Learning LiveCode, one step at a time.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Where do I get this server?

Post by Simon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 am

From the RunRev store.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

sturgis
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by sturgis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 am

Think you can also grab the source for and compile the community version, but thats a bit.. complicated so far. So far as I can tell no lc based precompiled server version yet.

CoffeeCone

Post by CoffeeCone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:28 am

Simon wrote:From the RunRev store.

Simon
I was forcefully trying to find the product page for it on the website, I didn't notice it was part of the whole commercial package.
sturgis wrote:Think you can also grab the source for and compile the community version, but thats a bit.. complicated so far. So far as I can tell no lc based precompiled server version yet.
Yeah, I don't think so.
Learning LiveCode, one step at a time.

gpearson

Post by gpearson » Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 pm

In moving my applications over to LiveCode and really spending some time to understand/learn this program. I have created a stack that I would like to install on a website but I do not find the server component within my account when I login. Nor do I see the Server Component within the Store. Is this something that is still available?
---
Graham Pearson
Goshen, IN USA

We Are Closed Today is your single internet resource for Indiana Area School Closings, Visit http://www.weareclosedtoday.com

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 pm

If you're wanting to place a stack into a web page (like a flash component) I'd give up the idea for now. The required plugin (like the flash plugin, but for LC) hasn't been updated in a while and has quite a few limitations at this time.

If you're wanting to use livecode as a scripting back end for web pages that is where server comes in. (like PHP you can embed lc code into a web page to do server side processing) It works VERY well and is fast. With all the changes going on, i'm not sure how one gets the commercial version of LC server right now, but you could write to support and ask. (its probably part of the single commercial package right now.. think that package includes everything)

If you want an opensource version of lc server, i'm also stumped on where to find that, unless you're able to grab the source and compile it yourself. Or unless someone has already forked things and is far enough along that there are some binary downloads of the community version of server.

I have a feeling we're about to get access to a few more things ( completely without evidence, just a feeling) as runrev gets farther down the "going open source" road.

gpearson

Post by gpearson » Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Well my idea is to use the same stack that I am creating a desktop version of for the web so it can be displayed in a webpage. Basically it is a map of the USA so that when a user hovers over a state it changes colors. When the user clicks on a state information is displayed from a Database Call that and parses XML. In learning Livecode, I created me a stack with each state as Image Controls and was working on the logic to make it animated.

Will try and sit patient on this as with on-rev.com and other sites that are being powered by .lc files, I figured I might have missed the software someplace. I have access to a Seat on a Commercial License that from what knew had all components. Just unable to find.
---
Graham Pearson
Goshen, IN USA

We Are Closed Today is your single internet resource for Indiana Area School Closings, Visit http://www.weareclosedtoday.com

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed May 22, 2013 12:42 am

Ah k. If yo want to try the plugin, and have your store account set up and have access to your seat, you can:

1 ) go to the store and login
2 ) click your account name at the upper right which will drop down a menu
3 ) click "my products"

On that page somewhere should be the livecode web plugin.

Be aware, the last word I had the plugin support was discontinued (may come back with community if someone pursues it? Dunno.) And there are quite a few browser choices/configurations where it just plain doesn't work.

Perhaps you could just build a web face that uses an imagemap of your current map stuff, and use LC, HTML, javascript for the web front (if the plugin won't work for what you need)

LC server is awesome. LC itself is too, but the plugin leaves large, huge, big parts to be desired. (if you have control of OS and browser choice on the systems that will be used to view your stack, the plugin limitations might not be an issue for you. I'm actually hoping someone dives in, grabs the source for the plugin and runs with it to make it better.)

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed May 22, 2013 12:54 am

I'm sure theres a public link to the plugin too, but I can't for the life of me remember where it might be.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”