Eligibility for Rev 2.9???

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

TonyL

Eligibility for Rev 2.9???

Post by TonyL » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 pm

I have Rev version 2.81. I purchased my update pack January 30th 2007. I would like to know if I am eligible to upgrade to Rev version 2.90?

The reason I ask, is I now notice that my 2.81 version now indicates that updates are available, but I am required to buy an update pack to upgrade to 2.90

I remember this topic was posted somewhere on the forum before, but I can't seem to find it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

malte

Post by malte » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:14 am

The best person to answer your question is the nice human being that uses the email add

support@runrev.com

always helpful and willing to sort any licensing questions out.

All the best,

Malte

TonyL

Post by TonyL » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:33 am

http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ght=update

I found the thread with the 2.9 upgrade info. Seems confusing that if you own 2.7 you get 2.9 for free. But this is not the case if you own 2.81. :?: :?: :?:

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 am

Hi Tony,

What is confusing about it? If you have a valid license for 2.7.x you get 2.9, if not then you will need to renew your license.

Now... I was going to write a simple explanation here, as to why I think it is reasonable, but actually it is a complicated story. Just keep in mind that customers who bought 2.7 was made a promise, while new customers who entered the Rev community wasn't made the same promise. Also, those who paid for 2.8, and thus got 2.8.1 for free, already got a much better product than those who bought 2.7.

The above is my very own personal opinion, though. If you don't think this makes sense, you really should write to support, as Malte suggests.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Macintosh Sauce

Post by Macintosh Sauce » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Edit: I got an e-mail this afternoon that I get the 2.9 upgrade of Revolution Studio for free because I had chosen a one-year upgrade plan when I got initially purchased it.

DUH! My apologies for saying I would not buy it - I honestly forgot when my one year thing was to expire.
Last edited by Macintosh Sauce on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.jamesnrhodes.com/personal/james/signatures/macintoshbanner3-jrhodes.png[/img]

malte

Post by malte » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:12 pm

The good thing is...

Nobody forces you to pay for anything.

If you are entitled for a free upgrade you will get it, if not you can use the version you have forever. It will not time out. If your update pack expired you can always decide if and when you wish to buy a new upgrade pack.

If you are unhappy with the version you are using contact support.
I do wonder why we have not read many many many posts by you asking for workarounds or complaints over the "bloody bugs" you have encountered. As you might have thought already I do not share your feelings towards 2.8.1. Sure it had bugs. So will have 2.9 and I doubt any version of Rev will be completely bug free. Neither is any dev system I know of. I have been usig Rev since 1.1.1 and must say 2.9 appears to be the most stable version ever. My preferred version before that was 2.6.1. However, I do not guess it is of interest to you. Long story short: Contact support if you feel you have not gotten what you expected with 2.8.1 then contact support.

Remember this forum is community driven. None of the active users here is a staff member of RR. None of the frequent posters can extend your license for free. If one of the RR team drop by they state it in their signatures. You are free to file your complaints to their support add or write them a private message.

All the best,

Malte

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Yes, you do need to at least speak up if you have a problem or are unhappy about something. I sure did. I got a lot guff from the "Good Old Boys Club" for my complaints, but I also got a lot of help and work arounds from them and many others.

And the people at Rev have, or have attempted to smack the bugs that are found by users.

Personally, I didn't find 2.8 as bad as you seem to have found it. I started off with 2.6, which I complained about heavily, and by the time I got to 2.8, many of the things I had complained about were no longer an issue.

The only thing I've been patiently waiting for is the ability to produce Linux apps again, and finally! 2.9 resolves that! Now I can finally put away the other dev tools I bought to fill in until Rev brought back Linux support. It'll be nice to be able to clear my desktop of some tools no longer needed. And! I can finally get back to work on some projects I've had on hold all this time waiting for the Linux engine to come back.

Rev... Thanks for coming through finally on this. :-)

~Garrett

benoestrada

Post by benoestrada » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi,
The only thing I've been patiently waiting for is the ability to produce Linux apps again
I bought the Christmas offer (2.8.1) and do not remember be warned that this version did not produce Linux executables.

As far as I remember RR website always states something like: "code once deploy everywhere"...

:(

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:54 am

Hi Benito,

I think we can't repeat it often enough these days. If you believe you should have been warned about something in advance, write to support. Writing your complaints in this forum makes little sense, but if you write to support, you might achieve something.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

benoestrada

Post by benoestrada » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:33 am

Hi Mark,

Do not take this personally.

My feeling is that a users forum is a superb place to learn, exchange experiences, feedback, help others but there is room for complains too.

If RR team does not visit this forum is because they do not want to do it. My guess is that it is very important to take a look on what the users say and feel on a product, especially if I you are the company behind the product.

Mmmmh... why then this forum moderators are the RR team?, come on lets do not get scared on being sincere and state our thoughts and feelings clear.

Regards,

Benito

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”