How to view individual card in a stack?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

vhtx

How to view individual card in a stack?

Post by vhtx » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:21 am

I am brand new and not a tech person, so, please excuse my stupid question. This question is probably covered before, but I can't find the thread.

How do I view individual card in a stack? I am working on LC Academy Week 1 lesson. Lesson showed an example of using multiple cards to demonstrate next and back buttons. But, I can't find how you can switch from card 1 to card 2 to card 3. Think of it as when you Print Preview a Microsoft word document, you can set it to see multiple pages in the print preview.

Is there a way that I can see multiple cards in one page? This way I can view individual card design, and codes.

Thanks.

dglass

Re: How to view individual card in a stack?

Post by dglass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:55 am

vhtx wrote: Is there a way that I can see multiple cards in one page?
Thanks.
No, there isn't.

vhtx

Post by vhtx » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:14 am

Thank you for the answer.

I guess I am not getting how LC works. I am thinking of each card as individual webpage inside a website (a stack). So, how do I view an individual card/webpage in relations to the whole stack/website? Is there a way to view all the cards in a stack as a diagram or some structure form then? Just trying to figure how to keep track of cards.

Thanks again.

Vivian

dglass

Post by dglass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:04 am

The usual metaphor, although it is extremely dated, is one of a rolodex/card file, where the stack is the rolodex/card holder, and each card is an individual...well, card. I suppose one of a website as the stack with cards as pages might work as well, and be more current. Hadn't thought of it that way.

The Application Browser, available via the main menu, but only when viewing a stack or card (and has no keyboard shortcut for some reason) will show you the hierarchical relationship between the various stacks and cards that will end up comprising your application.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:20 pm

There are lots of ways to see a particular card in a stack:

1. In the Application Browser, expand the stack using the little arrow and then double-click on the card name in the left-hand column.
2. Use the View menu in the IDE to page forward or backward through the cards, or use their keyboard equivalents.
3. In most stacks, you can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to page through the cards, depending on how the author set up arrow keys.
4. In the message box, type: go card 3 (or whatever number card you want to see, or you can use the card name instead of a number.)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

vhtx

Post by vhtx » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Thank you all.

I used Microsoft FrontPage to design website. It's visually simple to use for non-tech person. So, I am kind of stuck on using webpage & website analogy to understand how LC works. So far, my biggest hurdle is that I can't easily see all the cards at a glance to see how they look, what codes are in them, and how each card interacts with the other cards. Basically, keeping track of cards & codes. :oops:

Is there anyway to reposition a card within in a stack using drag & drop?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”