Commercial Application Source Code

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

asawyer13

Commercial Application Source Code

Post by asawyer13 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:23 pm

I am new to RR having just purchased my license.
I have developed applications in VB, Access, etc thru the years, though most were pieces of applications and not full applications.
I learn best by example.
Does anyone know of an general business application, something that would have Order Entry, Inventory, etc, or even a CRM system, or CMS system that I would be able to get source code for?
I know RR has some demo applications, but I would like one where it's a real sort of commercial grade piece of software, that I could get, learn from, change and use as the basis for my applications.
I don't sell software, but I would like to do some custom programming for clients.
Though I don't have much, I can pay something for it. I'm not asking for it for free, but since I'm thinking of buying Quartam Reports also, any help, advice, etc would be great.

I also would like to use MYSQL or SQLite as my databases of choice..

Thanks and remember, I'm new, so be gentle.

Alan

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:04 pm

Are there applications like I described that have been written and put out in the wild?
If I can't get source, maybe I can get examples of ones that exist so I can see what I'm striving for?
Alan

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Janschenkel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:14 am

Hi Alan,

While I know of several business applications that have been built using Revolution, it is unlikely that they will share their core code with you - after all, these applications are the culmination of decades of experience in the market segment, the business rules and, not in the least, in software development.

While there isn't really an open-source movement as such that develops business applications using Revolution, there are quite a few librarties that are freely available and that may assist you in building your application. As Revolution can also handle the vast majority of legacy HyperCard stacks, you might broaden your example code search to those as well.

You will undoubtedly get assistance if you bump into specific problems (such as with databases in particular or scripting questions in general) but the overall principle is "we're happy to share our knowledge, but we're not going to write your application for you".

There are several companies that offer consulting services if you want a leg-up in the development of your application - for instance, here's the consultants page on the runrev.com website:
http://support.runrev.com/resources/consultants.php

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 am

Jan,
Do you know of any specific applications like I described that exist so I can get a feel for what a real commercial grade application would look like?
Alan

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:53 pm

asawyer13 wrote: Do you know of any specific applications like I described that exist so I can get a feel for what a real commercial grade application would look like?
Alan
`````````````````
Hi Alan ~

One that I found that is very nicely done and that has the features you mentioned is called "CheckOut". You can download it and try it out, and the web site has some very good video tours/tutorials as well.
http://checkoutapp.com/show/quicktours

You can get a feel for the interface and how they set it up, so it can give you an idea of what areas of Rev you need to ask more specific questions about.

If you Google for those types of applications, you can check out a lot of others and see how other software vendors have approached this kind of app. Maybe you can offer something they don't or offer it in a better interface or a new approach.

Lynn P.

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Lynn,
Thanks, I will definitely take a look.
I don't own a Mac, but the tours should help greatly.
Alan

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:58 pm

asawyer13 wrote:Lynn,
Thanks, I will definitely take a look.
I don't own a Mac, but the tours should help greatly.
Alan
Ah yes, that app is Mac centric... sorry about that. But the tour vids pretty much cover everything anyway without even running the app.
There are more CRM | CMS systems out there for Windows than Mac, so you can get a good overview of what the competition offers, and give you some ideas of various approaches to the same type of software. :)

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Lynn,
CheckoutApp was actually written using Python and Cocoa Framework.
http://developer.apple.com/business/mac ... ckout.html
It's a cool product, but not a Revolution one.

So I'm not sure if there are any applications like I'm looking for???

Alan

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:59 pm

asawyer13 wrote:Lynn,
CheckoutApp was actually written using Python and Cocoa Framework.
http://developer.apple.com/business/mac ... ckout.html
It's a cool product, but not a Revolution one.

So I'm not sure if there are any applications like I'm looking for???

Alan
True... it's not created with Rev, but as Jan said, you will most likely not find someone willing to share their entire code of an app like that, but there are plenty of examples and code snippets out there for Rev that you can study and use in your own Rev app, but you have to be a bit more specific in what you are looking for.
You can garner information on the aspects that you want to incorporate into your Rev app by looking at other similar apps, then ask specific questions here on the board to *parts* of the app you want to emulate.
Planning out on paper or with planning software is the first step.
Outline the features.
Lay out the interface.
THEN.. when you need help implementing a feature, ask away. :D

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:07 pm

I understand someone not wanting to provided source code. In other languages, they sometimes do, but that's okay.

However, it would be nice to see any application CRM/Accounting, that's written in RunRev, so I can see how they are laying out Menus, doing reports, showing screens and flow.

I like the examples that are provided with RunRev, but the closest thing to what I'm looking for is the simple one that shows 3 fields from a customer database.

Alan

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:32 pm

asawyer13 wrote:I understand someone not wanting to provided source code. In other languages, they sometimes do, but that's okay.

However, it would be nice to see any application CRM/Accounting, that's written in RunRev, so I can see how they are laying out Menus, doing reports, showing screens and flow.

I like the examples that are provided with RunRev, but the closest thing to what I'm looking for is the simple one that shows 3 fields from a customer database.

Alan
``````````````````````
Hi again Alan ~
If you're the patient type, I can whip up a small, simple app that can demonstrate some of what you need over this weekend.
I know it can be a bit frustrating starting out with Rev because examples are scattered all over the net and they can be a chore to track down and find something that helps. :D

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm pretty patient, so if you're willing to do that, that would be great.
I'm also not against paying for things, especially if it will save me time and teach me something also.
One of the main reasons I'm trying to do this is that I have an Access application that my friend wants converted to something else.
I could potentially do it in something like PureBasic, but it would be pretty low level and really do a lot of your own routines, etc, so if I can get comfortable with RunRev, that's what I would like to do it in.

Thanks,
Alan

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 pm

asawyer13 wrote: One of the main reasons I'm trying to do this is that I have an Access application that my friend wants converted to something else.
I only have the Mac version of Rev, but will test it on a Windows XP pc prior to putting it out there for you. It will be short of interfacing with an Access database, but I'll throw in the output to a text file as well as storing info in the Rev app itself as database options. Then you can ask specific questions in the database area of this forum regarding Access or mySQL.
It will be an orders/inventory type of app one could use in a store and will have printing/reports. I create these type of apps a lot so, no problem coming up with a simple generic one.

Mark Smith

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:53 am

I don't know if anything in these sites is what you mean, but they might be worth a look...

http://www.fourthworld.com/products/index.html

http://www.altuit.com/webs/hemingway/Pr ... oducts.htm

Best,

Mark

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”