Submitting App to Apple Store

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

andyh1234

Re: Submitting App to Apple Store

Post by andyh1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Danny,

It is a little confusing to say the least at the Apple end, although they have tried to make it a little easier its still not very 'Apple' like!

However once you have the certs installed on your mac it should be quite easy from there on with Livecode as it does almost everything for you for an iOS submission and there is no need to work with an plist files.

The livecode steps are

1. Open your livecode project
2. Go to the file menu select the standalone application settings
3. Select the iOS tab
4. Go to the profiles box and select your new deployment profile
5. Check the internal app id is correct and matches the one used for the creation of the profile at apple. It just needs to be the com.xxx.xxx part, nothing before the com.
6. Back to the file menu and save as a standalone, I usually select the desktop for the target.
7. Once the app is compiled, open the folder, right click and select compress to create a zip file
8. Hit the spotlight in the top corner of the screen and type 'loader' to find the application loader and go through the steps to upload your .zip file.

A few tips ive found to be useful is for testing I just use the team provisioning profile installed by xCode when you enable a device for development, I dont get into creating separate profiles for each app for development as its not needed and just clutters things up.

When I get to distribution I create a distribution profile at developer.apple.com for the app and always call it 'myAppName App Store', replacing myAppName with the name of my App. It will then create the certificates, usually pending at first then refresh the page and it switches to download, I click the download, download the cert and double click it to install it into xCode. Then start up livecode (without needing to restart the mac) and the profile should be there and as I added 'App Store' to the end its easy to see which are development profiles, and which are for distribution.

The biggest thing is that the internal app id MUST match the one apple have in the cert, if it doesnt match it always ends in failure.

I hope this helps a bit!

Danny

Post by Danny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the post. I have already done all of that. I actually had a bundle ID error come up but I figured it out because they weren't matching.

Danny

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:36 pm

What is the very last error you are having now?

Id read it as the bundle id mis-match, but if thats now sorted it may be something I came across.

Andy

Danny

Post by Danny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:40 pm

I got the following error:
Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid or it was not signed with an Apple submission certificate
A lot of people are having this very problem. I've tried deleting the certs, making the correct distribution files, but no dice. If you have any ideas please let me know because i've been at this problem for 5 days straight and counting

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:06 pm

OK, I see. I had a similar issue when xCode got corrupted and had to recreate all the keys.

I ran a system command to remove xcode (I cant remember the line, but its easily googled), then reinstalled xCode.

Im using my system for both apps for the iOS and Mac App store, so I have all sorts of certs installed but just to check have you installed the code signing certificates into the keychain access app.

The files I have to do this are called...

AppleWWDRCA.cer
distribution_identity.cer
developer_identity.cer

I think the third may be the Mac OS store, but the first two seem to be needed to codesign and validate apps for the iOS store. When you double click any of the .cer files, the keychain access app starts and installs them.

Then once these are definitely in the keychain, I then started xCode. I have various '.mobileprovision' files, which when double clicked install into xCode.

Apart from that, there is nothing else I can offer. It sounds like an xCode rather than Livecode issue, I wonder if its possible to generate a test app for the simulator and manually sign that to see if you get the same errors.

Andy

neo42

Post by neo42 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Is this easier now? Does anyone have a clear/concise process on how to do this?

Also, is the original poster of this thread using a different apple dev license than usual?

Danny

Post by Danny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm

Nothing yet. I sent a support email to RunRev on friday but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I hope they do.
I will post their response if I get one.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:16 am

Danny wrote:Nothing yet. I sent a support email to RunRev on friday but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I hope they do.
I will post their response if I get one.
You'll probably get a response within a couple days, but right now may require just a bit of patience, as both of the people who handle most of the support queue are in California for the RevLive conference. While Heather's doing her best to keep up with support requests from here, she also has her hands full helping to coordinate things here at the conference.

Fortunately this only happens once a year, and it's actually quite a rare treat to see Heather here at this conference as she often stays in the office to handle things while the crew is at RevLive.

So hang in there while she catches up on support messages, and you'll likely get a reply shortly.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:05 pm

You know, you're right! I shouldn't have even posted about hoping they will because I always get a response. I forgot about the RevLive, I'll have to make it out there one of these years! It might be all the better for me because I've had to go back and omptimize my code a little bit more as I found problems when replaying my game.

Danny

P.S I hope everyone is having fun out there!

baranmir

Post by baranmir » Sat May 07, 2011 2:09 am

As you can read below, I was having great trouble just getting the app submitted. I finally did and you can see the app if you do a google search for The Naming Test app. After spending hours making and remaking the standalone, making and remaking keys and renaming files, I finally just gave up and sent the message at the bottom of this post to the Apple developer site. The response is below and I believe the step that worked was simply to compress the file into a zip using the Apple OS compress operation under the File menu rather than making the zip file using Stuffit. Since I made so many changes, I can't guarantee that was the change that made it all happen. After I did this, I submitted the usual way and it went through. This has been a very difficult process. It started with the unique way sound files are dealt with and ended with this submission problem. I just set aside whole days to slog through and it finally happened. I just kept thinking of the line from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: "The longer you work on the problem, the closer you are to the solution".

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting Apple Developer Support regarding signing your application.

If you are experiencing an "Invalid Signature" upload error when signing your app, please ensure that you have completed the following:

- You have performed the checks mentioned in "Verifying a Successful Distribution Build", in the Program User Guide (PDF) which can be found in the iOS Provisioning Portal.

- The name of your application and your Bundle Identifier (in Info.plist) contain only Roman letters, numbers, hyphens ("-") and periods ("."). See "The UTI Character Set".

- You're building on a Mac OS X-formatted drive (e.g. your internal drive) and not on a network or MSDOS drive (e.g. an external USB drive)

- You're using the Finder's "Compress" option to create the .zip file you're uploading, and not some other method

If you have followed all of these steps above and are still encountering an error, please contact Developer Technical Support for assistance:

Developer Technical Support

We hope that this information is helpful to you. For the future, please visit the iTunes Connect Contact Us information and FAQ for additional iTunes Connect and App Store information.

Best Regards,

Blaise Margherito
Apple Developer Support

Inquiry from regarding iOS Developer Provisioning Portal
Region: United States

I am having an extremely difficult time submitting an app for review in the app store. Using Application Loader, I keep getting the message: Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid, or it was not signed with an Apple submission certificate. I have tried everything suggested by developers in the forums. I am using LiveCode for development and Xcode 4.0. One basic problem Apple could fix is including a procedure checklist that includes ALL the steps for submission in one place. At present, certificates are explained one place and provision profiles in another. Just have one checklist: first you do this, second you do this, the result of step 2 should look like this. Provide actual examples of bundle IDs and App IDs. As it is now, my app works fine on an iPad but I cant get it distributed.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sat May 07, 2011 2:40 am

Thanks for the post! I'll look through and see if any of those help. I've always said that it seems like I fix one thing and another breaks. Currently Xcode won't open, it keeps crashing before it open.

I did get a response from RunRev and here's the response:
Dear Danny Kilkenny,

Thank you for your request. I'm sorry for the delay in replying, we have been away
at RunRevLive in San Jose.

I've asked one of our engineers here to write a new lesson on submitting to the
app store, you should see that appear in our mobile lessons area in the next few days.

Have you checked whether you have multiple apple identities? This can cause
confusion with the code signing.

Please let me know if you have solved the problem in the meantime, or if you are
still stuck.

Regards,

Heather

04/21/2011 19:59 - dannylego@ameritech.net wrote:

Received from: Danny Kilkenny

Hello,
I have finally finished my app and am ready to submit it to the App Store. It's a
little bit more complicated than I thought. I have signed all necessary
provisioning files, certificates, and I've done everything Apple asks to the word.
I set up my app with the correct icon, the distribution (not development) file,
and matched the internal app ID.

Then I started on the Application Loader to submit the binary. It came up with the
following error:
Application failed codesign verification. The signature was invalid or it was not
signed with an Apple submission certificate

I have google searched this phrase for and tried numerous solutions. It has be
many hours and many days, 4 days and counting. Many people are having troubles
with this very problem. They solve it through XCode by accessing areas which us (much cooler and superior :) LiveCode users
can't get to. This link might explain it better. please navigate to the pictures
towards the bottom of the page for one example of people using XCode to fix the
problem
http://tinyurl.com/3gowpcq

To conclude my email I will ask my main question. Can you explain how to get a
LiveCode program into XCode and be able to navigate the steps in the link above or
solve the impossible error that we are all having so much trouble with? Also, on
the forums we were talking about how a little bit more documentation on submitting
an App to the App Store and troubleshooting tips would be extremely helpful,
because we feel it is lacking in this area.

I hope this was easy enough to read. I just wanted it to be detailed enough for
you and the team read and have a accurate answer.

Thank you for your help,

Danny

Heather Nagey
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
LiveCode – Realize fast, compile-free coding
--

I was hoping that they would write a lesson for this. I'm trying desperately to get xcode up and running. I'll be trying these solutions soon and I'll repost (hopefully?) soon.

Danny

stephenmcnutt
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by stephenmcnutt » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Has anyone answered Danny's request?:
Can you explain how to get a LiveCode program into XCode and be able to navigate the steps in the link above or solve the impossible error that we are all having so much trouble with?

I thought I was all through and had my app uploaded to iTunes Connect with Application Loader today, but after uploading it, I got an email saying my recent binary submission has an Invalid Signature. I'm a bit lost at this point.

I never have used Xcode because, like Danny, I don't understand now to use it with my LiveCode application. I used the Signing Assistant app kindly provided by Obleo Beck here: http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/novemb ... etter4.php.

Help!!!!!

Thanks,
Steve McNutt

brentj84062

Post by brentj84062 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:25 pm

You can submit your application by creating a distribution profile under the iOS Developer Center at developer.apple.com. Set your apps provisioning profile to that new distribution profile, and build. Zip the application bundle using the built-in archiving tool (Stuffit or other 3rd party apps don't work consistently). You can't use xCode to submit, but you can use Application Loader. Follow it's step by step instructions, and when you choose your file you want to pick your zipped version of the application.

Hope that helps some, I've had a lot of frustration with signing identities myself. But, it sounds to me like you're having a distribution certificate/provisioning profile problem.

Return to “iOS Deployment”