Sine wave generator ?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

Sine wave generator ?

Post by Simon Knight » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:11 am

Hi,

One of my hi fi speakers is distorting at certain frequencies and looking at the web it is suggested that a tone generator may be useful in identifying where the distortion is originating. My first thought was to write a tone generator using Livecode but having searched the dictionary I can not find any method of generating a given tone on the fly. Livecode appears to have the commands as part of the Beep commands but they do not work on desktop. Have I missed something obvious ?

This is what I would like to create : https://onlinetonegenerator.com/. It seems a pity that that it is possible in html but not in Livecode. Any thoughts?

best wishes

Simon
best wishes
Skids

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Sine wave generator ?

Post by dunbarx » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:26 pm

The beep command is far to granular to generate a tone. You have to import a sound file and play it.

Craig

stam

Re: Sine wave generator ?

Post by stam » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:54 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:26 pm
The beep command is far to granular to generate a tone. You have to import a sound file and play it.

Craig
Or would a MIDI library be able to generate it? (thinking of the example with sine/square/triangular etc -- should all be doable with MIDI?)

It's outside of my comfort zone, but i know Paul McClernan has created a MIDI library and shared on github - https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/OpenXT ... e-CoreMIDI

As the link suggests however, this is pretty much MacOS only - but hopefully that helps?
Stam

Return to “Talking LiveCode”