Some nitpicks about the Game Maker

Creating Games? Developing something for fun?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Some nitpicks about the Game Maker

Post by BvG » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:14 pm

Of course the Game Maker is way too basic for me, but envisioning a user that want's to use this to make the next Myst, I think he would have troubles with these problems:
  • Should be able to load saved games.
  • If I open a stack made with Game Maker it complains about the tools not being open... Twice, but then it opens the tools stack and everything is fine.
  • Should be able to start a fresh game.
  • The concept of having 4 directions per square is too complex, should be one card per square, not four.
  • I opened a existing game, and on the game stack it shows two hotspots, on the tools "hotspot" tab it shows none, I have to click on the list field with the hotspot to show one, which is confusing.
  • the "Effects" show "mac os x 10.4 core graphics" effects, but I run 10.3, so I can't use them on my machine, this too is confusing.
  • I would like to copy an image by drag, dropping it onto a new location in the grid.
  • I can't drag an image from Safari onto the Game Maker.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

pevensen

Re: Some nitpicks about the Game Maker

Post by pevensen » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:03 pm

BvG wrote:
  • The concept of having 4 directions per square is too complex, should be one card per square, not four.
I was initially completely confused by this myself until I clicked the question mark and the pdf loaded and explained how things worked.

I suggest that there be a "Getting Started" button or something that loads this PDF on the opening page screen. I was initially lost as to what I should be doing. The little question mark on the tool window is easy to overlook.

I should maybe bugzilla this one: I switched back to the browser to type this and when I switched back, the tools window didn't appear. I had to minimize everything else before I could see it again. Turning on the background, however, made it appear in any case.

The documentation isn't very clear on what the default and location buttons do. I now understand Default using the stack-wide default click areas, location lets you define location-specific click areas. This isn't clear at all in the documentation.

All-in-all, the Adventure Game Creator looks cool. Almost wish the Studio and Enterprise versions had it.
Peter Evensen
[url]http://www.PetersRoadtoHealth.com[/url]

Lynn

Post by Lynn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:48 pm

pevensen wrote:
BvG wrote:
I was initially completely confused by this myself until I clicked the question mark and the pdf loaded and explained how things worked.

I suggest that there be a "Getting Started" button or something that loads this PDF on the opening page screen. I was initially lost as to what I should be doing. The little question mark on the tool window is easy to overlook.

I should maybe bugzilla this one: I switched back to the browser to type this and when I switched back, the tools window didn't appear. I had to minimize everything else before I could see it again. Turning on the background, however, made it appear in any case.

The documentation isn't very clear on what the default and location buttons do. I now understand Default using the stack-wide default click areas, location lets you define location-specific click areas. This isn't clear at all in the documentation.

All-in-all, the Adventure Game Creator looks cool. Almost wish the Studio and Enterprise versions had it.
Yes, please Bugzilla issues with the Revolution Media projects. They get updated just like any other portion of the product - more so in fact :-)
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Paradigma Software - Ultra Fast Database & Reporting Platform for LiveCode
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

malte

Post by malte » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:17 pm

pevensen wrote: I should maybe bugzilla this one: I switched back to the browser to type this and when I switched back, the tools window didn't appear. I had to minimize everything else before I could see it again. Turning on the background, however, made it appear in any case.
Hi,

does it only happen when switching to the browser? Or any app? On which OS is this?

Thanks,

Malte

Return to “Games”