Reorder lines in a list field

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

maxs
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Reorder lines in a list field

Post by maxs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:42 pm

Hi

Is it possible to reorder lines in a list field by dragging them up or down?

Max

stam

Re: Reorder lines in a list field

Post by stam » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi Max,

a quick search found a forum entry that answers this exact question:
viewtopic.php?t=33265

google is your friend :wink:

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:35 pm

stam wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 pm
google is your friend ;)
Google is your NSA of search engines, you are their product, not their friend Image

DuckDuckGo, Startpage, & Quant on the other hand, are neutral parties and far more friendly Image

stam

Post by stam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am

Pretty sure DuckDuckGo was recently caught recording data as well... never heard of the others.

Anonymity on the net is a pipe dream... but the real question is do I care if the NSA know I’m searching for livecode code :wink:

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:46 am

Have not seen that anywhere, so not sure what your referring too (and I'm pretty sure that would be big enough to penetrate my sphere of news).

StartPage started as lxquick, and basically gives you googles results, Qwant is a french creation available to the world at large. There are quite a few engines that don't try to look up your skirt as your drifting hither and yon on the world wide (time) waster :P
stam wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:16 am
Anonymity on the net is a pipe dream... but the real question is do I care if the NSA know I’m searching for livecode code
First to be clear, I'm not talking about you remaining anonymous on the web, nor am I suggesting you blow up your computer and move into a cave. If you want to discuss conspiracies, that is in 205, down the hall and too the left.

Secondly, while the NSA probably already knows what your doing (ask the agent to your left), I don't think it is a great idea to have your tools start dumbing you down or profiting from your activities. To quote the page I linked up there,
Its Foss wrote: Google – unquestionably being the best search engine out there, makes use of powerful and intelligent algorithms (including A.I. implementations) to let the users get the best out of a search engine with a personalized experience.

This sounds good until you start to live in a filter bubble. When you start seeing everything that ‘suits your taste’, you get detached from reality. Too much of anything is not good. Too much of personalization is harmful as well.
If I do a search for something, I don't want my search engine to propogate that into an ad campaign that follows me to my laptop or any other device I might own, for example, but aside from that just from a dataset pov, the amount of information your giving away about yourself is just too damn scary for me to accept.

Since you feel comfortable with it, que sera and all that. Me, I'll start with a search that doesn't track my every move from there on out into infinity, it just creeps me out too much.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi,
bogs wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:46 am
Its Foss wrote:[...] This sounds good until you start to live in a filter bubble. When you start seeing everything that ‘suits your taste’, you get detached from reality. [...]
If I do a search for something, I don't want my search engine to propogate that into an ad campaign that follows me to my laptop or any other device I might own, [...]
It's off topic here, but there's an easy remedy:
Do your searches from a desktop machine, don't log in to Google for your search, and have your browser clear cache/cookies with the end of the session. Bingo.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Hi all,

I just created an enhancement request, feel free to add comments:
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22859
I was really suprised nobody had asked for this before!?

Best

Klaus

stam

Post by stam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 pm

@bogs : Chill dude, i was just being facetious :P :P :P

Having said that:
I can't remember where i read that about DuckDuckGo (and i'd defer to your expertise as that's not my main sphere of business), but the following are true of it:
  • It's hosted in the US, so it is de facto subject to the Patriot Act (this is also the reason i can't use any US-based hosted databases for my projects relating to healthcare/patient sensitive data).
  • It's hosted by Amazon (is that any better than Google for collecting personal data?)
  • It's not a search engine, it uses normal search engines
Will check out Qwant and Startpage, but on balance i don't really see myself changing search engines...
I don't mind that I'm being tracked because i can't avoid being tracked - in Google's case, the main outcome of this would be, as you say, that an 'advertising campaign' will be launched against me.

But it's not like i will suddenly be subject to advertising where i normally wouldn't be; it's just targeted advertising and tbh if i'm going to see adverts anyway, why shouldn't they be targeted to my interests? And it's not like these methods give any degree of anonymity whatsoever.
I fully agree i don't like the idea of being tracked - but i will be, no matter what search engine i use. It's just how that tracking manifests itself...
Last edited by stam on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stam

Post by stam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Klaus wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm
Hi all,

I just created an enhancement request, feel free to add comments:
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22859
I was really suprised nobody had asked for this before!?

Klaus
Hey Klaus, thanks for doing that - what is the etiquette for feature requests like this? Should one add a 'me too' comment? (unlike other dev environments, i can't see a way to register interest - increase popularity for this?)

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:59 pm

stam wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:53 pm
Hey Klaus, thanks for doing that - what is the etiquette for feature requests like this? Should one add a 'me too' comment? (unlike other dev environments, i can't see a way to register interest - increase popularity for this?)
Good question! :-D
I think just adding some kind of "me too" comment will suffice.

stam

Post by stam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:12 pm

done :)

Just noticed that added me into the 'cc' field for this bug report - maybe adding yourself to the cc list is the way to register interest/support without commenting?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:25 pm

I think Stam's suggesting is best.

Please do add a comment if you have new information useful to diagnosing and/or fixing a bug. But if all you have is "me too" please help keep the report lean and actionable by just adding yourself to the report's CC list instead.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”