String issues

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

JackieBlue1970

Re: String issues

Post by JackieBlue1970 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:26 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:41 pm
- Use a field, as you've done.
- Use the simple "put" command, to display in the Message Box
- Use the debugger, designed for exactly this sort of observation.
I have used the debugger some but find it cumbersome for this purpose, when I want to just observe the variable for a test.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:03 am

Hi.

It is true that setting a breakpoint to view a variable requires looking at another window, and stopping execution. But for me, the advantages of knowing exactly where the variable's value was loaded far outweighs these small encumbrances. And stopping execution is desirable, since if I want to know what the variables are up to, I am usually already trying to track something down.

But even more useful is that if you explicitly open a variable in its own window, that window stays open (it is just a stack). So you can run your handler again, and see any changes directly.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:15 am

The debugger is my first choice when I want to see variable values, because I don't have to change the scripts and then remember to remove the debugging lines afterwards. Even if I forget to remove the breakpoints, they won't trigger in a standalone because there is no debugger there.

On the other hand, it's easy to remove all the red dot breakpoints at once, in all open stacks, just by choosing a menu item when any script is open.

I generally work with scripts open on one side of the monitor and my stack(s) on the other. It's easy to move between debugging and running that way.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 am

I generally work with scripts open on one side of the monitor and my stack(s) on the other. It's easy to move between debugging and running that way.
Indeed: I have a Mac Mini with 3 monitors:

1. Stack slap-dead-centre.

2. Script(s) open to the left.

3. LiveCode Dictionary on the right.

4. Cup of coffee on the table in front of the monitors. 8)

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 am
Yeh that is the kind of set up needed; coding on a laptop isn't remotely as comfortable.
I suppose i could add a screen but that would mean getting off the couch :wink:

Regarding the OP's post... i too have been stung by the idiosyncrasies of LiveCode. I don't dislike it, it's just very very different to more common languages.

With most 'traditional' languages there are many syntactical similarities - sort of like learning French if you can already speak Italian and English... It's similar enough to those that you can build on your experience.

But linguistically there are languages which use a different way of saying things - sort of like asking for the time in Swedish (literally 'What's the time?" would translate to "How much is she?" is Swedish). Then add a completely different alphabet as well (like Greek/Cyrillic) and you're really stuck.

Thankfully between the documentation, website and this forum, most issues can be quickly answered -- so props to you guys for helping us LiveCode newbies :D

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm

the idiosyncrasies of LiveCode
Oh, as, aiblins, the idiosyncrasies of FORTH, FORTRAN an COBOL: ilka leid has its ain 'idiosyncrasies,' an your
stramash anent LiveCode is juist bein subjective.
Then add a completely different alphabet as well (like Greek/Cyrillic) and you're really stuck.
Защо? Нямам проблем с Лaтиница или с ЛайвКод . . . това е глупосте! 8)

אתא מישוגעד :wink:
Last edited by richmond62 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:54 am

Yeh that is the kind of set up needed; coding on a laptop isn't remotely as comfortable.
I suppose i could add a screen but that would mean getting off the couch :wink:
One benefit of Catalina is that your iPad becomes a wonderful second screen to the MacBook. Perch the iPad on the arm of the couch and leave the computer in your lap and you are off to the races.

At my desk, I already have a big external screen, so adding the iPad brings me into the the blessed three screen Nirvana like the elite!

But I can’t do that on the couch... 8-(

Kelly

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:53 am

the blessed three screen Nirvana like the elite
Emphasis added.

If 3 screens fished out of dustbins put me in the elite, I'm yer man! 8)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 am

stam wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 pm
richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 am
Most of my work is done on a dual-screen setup, but when I'm on the road or the porch I use a small laptop at 1360x768, the most popular resolution for the last several years.

At some point it occurred to me that the key isn't necessarily to have everything visible at once, but to have it visible when you need it. And when you do, it must be instantly available; no hunting through menus, no remembering keyboard shortcuts, but something big and clear like an oversized button.

But then the trick is to make the button not only large enough to be easy to hit, but just small enough to fit all the ones you need on screen at once, in a slender layout.

And thus devolution was born:

After much experimentation for more than a year, I finally settled on the size and layout shown there, just short enough to fit well at 768p but big enough to make working on a large monitor that much better. Of course since editing scripts is where we spend most of our time, that button is bigger. But the rest are sized generously enough to rapid access, and the tool includes options to hide all of LC's tools at startup, so you have your screen real estate devoted to your project.

You can read more about devolution here:
https://fourthworld.com/products/devolution/index.html

It's free to use with source available, and auto-updates when a new version is available (I'm working on another update as we speak).
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:46 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 am

You can read more about devolution here:
https://fourthworld.com/products/devolution/index.html

It's free to use with source available, and auto-updates when a new version is available (I'm working on another update as we speak).
Wow that looks amazing! Will definitely check it out when I’m back at my laptop, thank you!

stam

Post by stam » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:27 am

Having checked out Devolution, i really do like it -- it's truly a well thought out utility and I can see how the will become indispensable for laptop use... great job!

Quick question as i'm still learning LC - how do i access the source code?
Also - what's the correct forum for some minor feedback and feature requests?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”