Windows 64bit version won't start

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MadDogDean
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Windows 64bit version won't start

Post by MadDogDean » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:59 am

Hey all,

Not really anywhere else to post this, so here goes.

Since the first release of LC for 64 bit Windows, I have been unable to get it started. The activation screen pops up and it's blank. Tried it on ALL 64bit releases, no luck. The x86 works fine. I have an Business License but LiveCode/RunRev has been unable to help with the problem.

Same result when starting in Safe Mode. Running a Win7 machine, everything up to date.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Dean
LiveCode.jpg
Here is a larger view https://www.dropbox.com/s/v467hoqx553du ... e.png?dl=0

mrcoollion

Re: Windows 64bit version won't start

Post by mrcoollion » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:25 pm

Strange,

I do not have any problems using LC 9.6 (RC2) in Windows 10 64 bits.
Maybe your Virus protection software is the reason?

Regards,

Paul

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:55 am

Hey Paul,

Actually I've tried it with my AV completely disabled as well as Safe Mode. It just doesn't want to pass the first screen.

Maybe someone else at LC has a thought. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to troubleshoot the startup of LC with a switch or modifier (using Shift, Ctrl, etc).

Cheers

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:54 am

As a small update, this issue affects the x64 Community Edition as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a03yv4j5oouhp ... y.png?dl=0

Hopefully *somebody* else has experienced this...
BTW, I am running Win7 x64 - and while I should think to upgrade, unless someone wants to gift a top-notch laptop, I'll have to wait on the bank account to recover a little first ;(

Cheers

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:46 am

I dunno what to tell you MadDog, I pulled one of my one of my older win 7 64 images out to test whether Lc installed or not, worked or not. It did without any drama.

The Win image is default, which means except for windows installed items and some few programs (mostly old Revolution stuff), it doesn't have anything else installed utility wise (firewalls, av, peer to peer, etc).

Except for some minor drama, where the property window from Lc just happened to fall on the border of the screen recording and couldn't be moved, everything worked as it should. As a bonus, I found out that somewhere between this build and the last tests I ran in Lc, they fixed the 'launch on install' thing for Windows :P

If you want to waste 4 minutes of your life, here is a recording of the installation and subsequent test.
https://youtu.be/81PTE4axRyQ

*Edit - if you watch it at 2x speed, you still get the idea, and it only wastes 2 minutes of your life :P

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks bogs,

It is bizarre! I tried before, but I again, reloaded a clean Win7 x64 VMWare image and installed 9.6.0 x64 - worked fine (again!)

Must be something to do with ( **enter your favorite hocus-pocus expression here** ).

However running LC in the VM is a little too slow. I guess I'll have to consider a reinstall, or just stick with the x86 version until a new laptop magically arrives in the mailbox :)

Cheers

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:43 am

MadDogDean wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:41 am
Must be something to do with ( **enter your favorite hocus-pocus expression here** ).
GREMLINS!
We use to blame GREMLINS here for these kind of things. :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:20 pm

MadDogDean wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:41 am
However running LC in the VM is a little too slow.
Dunno what to tell you there, it ran exceptionally smooth here on 1 core of a very old AMD Rana 450 3 core cpu, with a 2nd VM running on another core, so I can't imagine it was taking too much power to run it. Mind you this was on a Virtualbox VM, but I've had similar performance from VMware machines.

I'm curious, you running 'nix or something else? If you are running 'nix, you *can* install 9.6 directly using Wine, which should eliminate any performance hits of running a full blown VM.

@ Klaus - I still blame Gremlins, the most abominable car AMC ever produced...

Gerry Dincher from Hope Mills, NC / CC BY-SA

(just kidding :P )

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm

AHA, that ugly car is named "Gremlin"?
That fits! :-)

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:21 pm

Believe it or don't, that car has a lot more space than it would appear too, and was actually quite useful and economical to run. The body style is known as ' kammback', fairly efficient for the time and the engine was a straight 6, one of the best they had.

But your right, the looks weren't very appreciated, even at the time it was made.

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:43 pm

Thanks all.

Perhaps I need to do a little more cleaning out the old cobwebs - something didn't seem too happy last time...

As for the Gremlin, my cousin had one back in the day - it was actually a pretty cool car to drive! And not to mention, for those of us oldies that still want to drive one, you can drive it in Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox!

Cheers,
MadDogDean

PS. And if we're giving the Gremlin a hard time, let's not forget the '75 Pacer :shock:

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:04 pm

Who could ever forget the great glass greenhouse on wheels? The width of a Caddy (and almost as comfortable to ride in) and in wagon form, a real hauler. Amazingly (for the time) a great attempt at blind-spot elimination as well.

And of course, they had one in 'Wayne's world' :twisted:

MadDogDean

Post by MadDogDean » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:31 pm

For sure!
And how many of us will actually *admit* that our grandparents had one of these.... (who.. me???) :roll:

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Grandparents? Ha, My grandparents didn't have any vehicles until much later in life, when my grandfather got an Indian Chief (with sidecar) in trade for work done. He also had a 30's 'BB' Ford, that he converted into a tow truck when you literally had to do it yourself cause no one else was doing it.

The (relatively) late model cars we're talking about here were during my own life time haha. My first car was a '69 GT Mustang, followed up by a Nova. My mother did own an AMC Eagle, though, so the heritage was common enough, I really liked her Eagle :)

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:40 pm

I had a Gremlin, hatchback, bright yellow. I kept my camping gear in it permanently and it took me on a 3 month camping trip across the entire US. Those were the days.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Talking LiveCode”