Tool tips

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

anmldr

Tool tips

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 am

I am vision impaired. I use a Mac. In the "Accessibility Preferences", I use an enlarged cursor all of the time. In the LC IDE, tooltips are (in my opinion) tailored only for the "normal" or small sized cursor that is the default on the Mac. When a tooltip pops up in the IDE, the majority of the tooltip is covered up by the cursor.

My question, does anyone have a suggestion for a hack for the IDE on my computer to adjust it so that tooltips appear to the right of the top portion of the cursor? Then I maybe I could actually see and read the tooltip.

This is a reported bug that has been around for awhile. It would just be nice if I could change the behavior on my computer.

Thanks,
Linda

bogs

Re: Tool tips

Post by bogs » Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 am

I never thought about it before, but it probably would work better if the tip popped to the right of the cursor(0,0) location, or a couple pixels above the top of the cursor, so that non standard size / types of cursors can't obscure it, or if there was an option to have it do so.

I assume that you have Mac's own accessibility tools enabled, they do nothing to modify the tip?

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:06 am

It might not be a bad idea to have enlarged tool tips as well.

Unfortunately when I tried this:

Code: Select all

on mouseUp
   set the textSize of the toolTip of btn "Test" to 24
end mouseUp
All I got was a "Blue Meanie."

The toolTip seems to have no user accessible properties that way.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 28, 2020 2:48 pm

This should not be hard for the team to implement now that they've incorporated good support for OS-defined fonts. What is the report number/URL?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm

What is the report number/URL?
Very droll. 8)

If I'm not pipped at the post I will do something about this after supper (i.e. in about 4 hours time).

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 28, 2020 5:24 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 pm
What is the report number/URL?
Very droll. 8)
?

Linda wrote, "This is a reported bug that has been around for awhile."

When I search for "tooltip" in the bug DB I get 33 confirmed reports, and this wasn't among them.

In the absence of an ID or URL for the bug, I went back and revised my search to include broader criteria, examining all reports regardless of status. After hunting around I found this one, reported against v9.0, which looks like it might be the on Linda was referring to:
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21188

Reading the comments from the team for an existing report is worthwhile, as they understand the engine in ways few scripters do, and often provide useful guidance on workarounds and/or implementation details/requirements.

In this case, Panos seems to agree that changing the origin point for tooltips to match the lower-right corner of the current cursor image would suffice for the instance reported there by Mark Talluto.

But now that I've seen the report, I'm not sure it's an optimal solution for someone vision-impaired. While it will stop the cursor image from obscuring the tooltip text, the text itself will still be rendered in a small size.

Linda, do I understand that correctly? If so, I'm wondering if a separate request can be submitted for making tooltip text match OS settings for default text size.

And maybe that's already in the bug DB. I don't know, because I don't know for sure which report Linda was referring to, which is why I asked.
Richard Gaskin

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Yes, that is the one, Richard. It had been reported prior to my reporting a few months ago. I never looked it up but someone at LC said that it was a known problem.

I routinely use (on the Mac) System Preferences/Displays/Resolution (Scaled)/Larger Text on the Mac. Lots of things don't quite fit right at that resolution but I can read most things better with the larger text. That way, I don't have to pinch/zoom all of the time. That resolution plays havoc with some websites. I had just read that LiveCode was created with LiveCode and thought that there may be some adjustment that I could make in the scripts of LC Indy's IDE stacks.

Thanks,
Linda

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 pm

bogs wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 am
I assume that you have Mac's own accessibility tools enabled, they do nothing to modify the tip?
I do have them enabled and that is where the problem arises. The cursor is greatly enlarged and covers the tooltip. Because I also have the resolution set to "Scaled" and "Larger Text" (see other post) in my System Preferences, the Tooltip's font is also enlarged along with all other text.

Linda

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:24 pm

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Thank you for the report. Your screen shot that you uploaded does not show the cursor. But then, neither does mine when I use CMD+Shift+3. I will take a photo with my iPad of the screen of my Mac.

Linda

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 6:40 pm

I don't see how to upload the image to your report. So, here it is in case you want to upload it yourself.

Linda
Tooltips.jpg
P.S. It may be Apple's problem and not LC's.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you for taking the suggestion for a new feature request seriously, Richmond. I've followed up with a comment there for a possible option which could make this both easier for scripters to use by taking advantage of the new font constants introduced in v9.
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 pm

I assume you are using an Apple operating system somewhere in the 10.13 - 10.15 range (and this is slightly unfair as I also use several Macintosh computers using MacOS 9 through to 10.7.5) . . .

So, to be quite honest, iff (and I do mean 'iff', not just 'if') the ONLY reason you wish to magnify things is because of your own
disabilities, rather than, say, the ability to change them for whoever you are developing standalones for, you might be better to either:

1. Buy a socking great TV and plug your Mac into that so everything appears 5 times bigger than 'normal'.

2. Use the Zoom settings in the Accessibility panel of the System Preferences.
-
Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 20.43.55.png

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu May 28, 2020 6:59 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 pm
reason you wish to magnify things is because of your own disabilities
It is.
1. Buy a socking great TV and plug your Mac into that so everything appears 5 times bigger than 'normal'.
No thanks. At a distance, like with a TV, vs. a laptop relatively close to my face, my vision is worse.

2. Use the Zoom settings in the Accessibility panel of the System Preferences.
I will give this a try.
Linda

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:02 pm

My personal preference (just to throw a spanner in the works) is to use bespoke images for tooltips when necessary.

Code: Select all

on mouseEnter
   set the topLeft of img "tt" to the bottomRight of me
end mouseEnter

on mouseLeave
   set the topLeft of img "tt" to the bottomRight of this card
end mouseLeave
This means you have complete control over textSize, textColor, textFont and so on and so forth.

I know it involves extra work: but so does anything that goes the extra mile. 8)
-
tips.png
Attachments
Clootie.livecode.zip
Here's the stack.
(19.09 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

Return to “Off-Topic”