App fails to launch when downloaded

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trevix

App fails to launch when downloaded

Post by trevix » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:45 pm

LC 9.6.0DP4
OSX 10.14.6
JDK 1.8.0_231
Android 5.0 on ASUS Z00_AD

My standalone works fine when loaded to the Android hardware using it as Test Target.
The standalone also works fine on OSX and iOS hardware.

I then tried to load the standalone .apk from my web host: I cleaned up any occurrence of it on the phone, I uploaded it, it downloads fine, it installs fine, BUT it crashes instantly on launch.
I also tried to redo the all thing, after having signed the standalone. Everything works except it doesn't launch.

Is there something I should know?
Thanks for any help
Trevix
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: App fails to launch when downloaded

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello Roberto,

Have you tried to check the option "sign for development only", and rebuild the standalone? Also, I am wondering if your phone is of different Android architecture than the one(s) you support in the standalone. The Test button automatically detects the architecture of the target device and only builds for this slice. So for example if you have checked only armv7, but your phone is arm64, then the Test button will include only the arm64 slice.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

trevix

Post by trevix » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi and thanks for answering.

- yes, in the beginning I did several try with the "sign for development only" (and I always clean up any recurrence of the App from the phone, before any new test)
- standalone settings I think are correct (see below)
- it may be that it is too old a phone but that wouldn't explain why it works as test target
http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=5 ... ffcaf0290a
Schermata 2020-04-30 alle 21.38.21.png
Trevix

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri May 01, 2020 8:37 am

Hello Roberto,

Hmm, I am wondering if the phone has a x86 (or x86_64) architecture.

Could you try checking all 4 archs in the standalone settings?

Also it might be worth experimenting with changing the "Install Location" setting.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Fri May 01, 2020 9:38 am

@Trevix: Panos has found the problem I think - your device (by the model number you mentioned) appears to be this https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_2 ... l-6917.php - which has an Intel Atom processor... Which will be either x86 or x86-64 (I'm not sure which).

(That being said I did think x86/-64 powered android phones could run ARM apps under emulation - but maybe that depends on the device.)

trevix

Re: App fails to launch when downloaded:SOLVED

Post by trevix » Fri May 01, 2020 12:51 pm

That's was it: checking x86-64 solved.
Wondering why is was installing anyway with Test Target. But thanks, anyway....
Trevix

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Nice :)

It works with the Test Target, because the test Target mechanism automatically detects the arch of the connected device and builds just this arch, so in your case it builds only the x86-64 arch and installs the app without problems.

Kind regards,
Panos
--

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 am

LCMark wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:38 am

(That being said I did think x86/-64 powered android phones could run ARM apps under emulation - but maybe that depends on the device.)
I few years back when I messing around with Android builds I got the idea to use Android X86/X86_64 builds (such as BlueStacks, AndroidX86) because Android SDK's (Q-EMU Based) ARM emulation was so slow just to boot up on my old 4th Gen Core i5, I was thinking that should boot fast and use Android's built in ARM emulation on X86_64... well after a lot of experimenting I found that Android's built-in ARM emulation is very hit-or-miss, particularly if the ARM app uses any kind of GPU acceleration... If you just want to play some Angry Birds that works somewhat... unfortunately LC's ARM Engine wasn't one of those that worked at all...Now that the LC standalone for Android has X86/X86_64 Engine options I've been meaning to try that again (testing with Android Native X86 builds in VM that is)
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

Return to “Android Deployment”