Copy Paste Windows 10 does not work well

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mrcoollion

Copy Paste Windows 10 does not work well

Post by mrcoollion » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:32 am

This really bugs me :(

I have some strange issues concerning the copy and paste commands in Livecode under Windows 10.
Yesterday I could not copy and paste e.e. the name of a field in my properties window into the script.
Today I am not able to copy-paste text from my script into and app outside the LC editor however the above problem is no longer an issue :shock:

(PS. Yesterday 'installed' the Levure Framework but does this do anything with LC IDE settings ?)

Regards,

Paul

bogs

Re: Copy Paste Windows 10 does not work well

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:52 am

Dunno what to tell you there, Paul, I've always thought the copy/pasting in Lc was...........interesting, to say the least.

Just as a 'for instance', often times I want to copy code from the message box, or the property inspector (which is the worst), or the SE or what have you. I'm on 'nix, just to show you it isn't a Win only thing.

If I want to copy code from the SE (using ctrl + c), I have to paste it into a text editor, then copy and paste it from there to the forum. Why? No clue.

If I want to copy from the property inspector to the SE, again using ctrl + c, I stand a good chance of just seeing the text in the PI turn into 'c'.

Aside from that quirk, and far more serious to me, if the PI has the focus and, let us say the title of the stacks name is literally focused, I hit (ctrl + s) to save and the title changes to 's' :shock:

Theoretically, to put something from LC onto the clipboard, the proper way to do it is to go through the menubar Edit menu and choose copy after highlighting whatever it is your trying to copy, but that really is the long road for anyone used to using Keyboard shortcuts for the majority of even simple operations :roll:

*Edit - the following were all moved from the incorrect thread to this one...

Which vers. of Win and Lc Paul?

*Edit - Win 10, got that much :)
bogs wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:01 pm
I dunno, Paul, I wasn't able to replicate it in 9.5, downloading 9.6 to test it out.
bogs wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:35 pm
Mind you, I don't have Win 10 Pro, so the test is incomplete in covering every aspect of this.

However, on just regular Win 10, with Lc 9.6 DP 3, I was unable to recreate a situation where I could not copy from Lc and paste into Notepad using any regular method, i.e. ctrl + c, edit menu -> copy, etc.

Here is a link to a few of the shennanigans I used to test it - https://youtu.be/RZhEkwNsz0o
Last edited by bogs on Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 pm

Found the or a solution.

Reset all the preferences in
Edit > Preferences
. Restarted the computer and all works fine now.

Thanks for the support and idea's :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:15 pm

Just realized Richmond posting in the wrong thread caused me to do the same :roll:

Putting all my posts from the wrong thread in here <sigh> :roll:

If any of the mods wants to go back to viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33932 and delete my wrongly posted posts, I'd appreciate it :D

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:27 pm

mrcoollion wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 pm
Found the or a solution.

Reset all the preferences in
Edit > Preferences
. Restarted the computer and all works fine now.

Thanks for the support and idea's :D
I'm glad you found a way to address the problem, but IMNSHO the Prefs file should have no effect on how the engine handles the Clipboard.

If this recurs with a repeatable recipe please post the recipe here for confirmation and I'll file a bug report.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Will do ... :D

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:57 am

Got the problem again :shock: ... not sure how but also in this case resetting the preferences helped.
I will try to reproduce and when I am successful I will post it here.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”