IDE Preferences "stack creator type"

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

IDE Preferences "stack creator type"

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 am

I wasn't sure where this question should go, so if it is in the wrong place, feel free to move it :D

While going through the IDE preferences, I see an option under "Files and Memory" that says "Preserve stack creator type". When you mouse over all the other preferences, a help pop-up explains what it does, but not for this one. I first see it listed around version 3.x of the IDE, it isn't in 2.2.x or before (where I spend most of my time).

It is also not selectable on any OS but Mac, so I am assuming it has something to do with that OS, but what? Any clarification would be appreciated, I was unable to find it in the User guide or any other documentation available, nor in any online search I tried.

Thanks!

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: IDE Preferences "stack creator type"

Post by [-hh] » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:58 pm

google (etc.) "mac creator type" shows the answer in different lengths ;-)
shiftLock happens

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:38 pm

You know, I prefaced the search with 'LiveCode', since the option says 'Stack Creator Type', so I thought this was some type I never heard of related to stacks and I got bupkiss :oops:

It is what, a throw back to the HyperCard stack - 'STAK' type? That makes sense. I'm curious now why it shows up on 'nix systems, even though it is unselectable. Seems like something a simple 'is not' check of the OS to set it visible or not would fix.

Thank you for the tip, -hh, after taking out 'LiveCode' from the search string, BYU's page on the types came up near the top of the list :D

I should definitely drink more coffee before posting next time Image

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Creator types, a holdover from the transition to OS X, aren't even used any more. The file extension serves the same purpose now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Off-Topic”