Making Windows Standalone Livecode 9 vs 7

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

baranmir

Making Windows Standalone Livecode 9 vs 7

Post by baranmir » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 am

I made a slight change to an older program and saved new Mac and Windows standalones using Livecode 9.0.1. The Mac version works fine. When I try to open the Windows version on a laptop running Windows XP Professional I get a "programname.exe is not a valid Win32 application" error message and the program does not open. Thinking this may be an issue with the Livecode version, I saved the program as a standalone using Livecode 7.0. This Windows standalone opened and ran fine. What is the problem here? I would prefer to save standalones with the current version of Livecode.

Mike Williams
Brainmetric

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Making Windows Standalone Livecode 9 vs 7

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 am

I would suggest trying v9.0.2, as that's the latest Stable build, and I know the team has been working on some Windows issues.

If you see the same result, you might try the latest Developer Preview release, currently v9.0.3rc2.

These and more are available here:
https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

A.Steen

Post by A.Steen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:42 am

Hello, did this work?

I also get this error message (not a valid Win32 application). I used LiveCode 9-5 (Indy and Community version). I build it on a Windows 10-64 bit os (with latest updates). I transferred the standalone exe to an xp (where a earlier standalone version of the same lc program was running. For years). I installed a previous versions of lc (v8). Same error message.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Kind regards,
A. Steen

ClipArtGuy

Post by ClipArtGuy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am

Windows XP is no longer supported as of v8.2 per this link: https://livecode.com/tag/support/

A.Steen

Post by A.Steen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:16 am

Thank you. I am not running lc on the Xp, but on a Windows 10. I think 'not supported' is related to that. I mean the output of lc (the standalone exe).
I also tried version 8-0 and even 6-0. No succes.
Kind regards,
A. Steen

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 am

A.Steen wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:16 am
I am not running lc on the Xp, but on a Windows 10. I think 'not supported' is related to that. I mean the output of lc (the standalone exe).
I *think* supported means the engine, which is what powers your app on different Os'es. In other words, if the IDE isn't supported on Os xyz, then nothing you write in that IDE will be supported on that Os either.
A.Steen wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:16 am
I also tried version 8-0 and even 6-0. No succes.
I'm not sure what you mean by that statement, I run IDE's and build for xp (mostly from 'nix) in IDEs that range from 2.x to 7. None of those has a problem kicking out a windows xp runable exe. I know the 8.x series started bringing up some issues, as per threads on this very forum, but 6.x should not on XP.

On the other hand, if you wrote a script in lets say 8.x, and then tried to make it a standalone in 6.x, you might encounter some issues even if you save it to format 5.5. This would depend on whether you are using features that didn't exist in the 5.5 format.

A.Steen

Post by A.Steen » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you. I'm going to try your suggestion saving in 5-5 format. It will not be before the end of this month. Thanks again for the help

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Just keep in mind that if you save to the 5.5 format so that you can make an exe in 6.x, you can't use any features that were not available during that period of time.

For starters, right off the top widgets won't happen. If your program has / uses them, this method will not work for you. Script only stacks also come to mind.

Return to “Windows”