Size and Position Pane - Unstoppable Incrementation

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

montymay

Size and Position Pane - Unstoppable Incrementation

Post by montymay » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am

I haven't seen or found any inquiries about a problem I sometimes experience with the size and position pane of the Property Inspector. I guessing I am not the only one to encounter it. A click on the up or down arrows to increase or decrease one of the rects will trigger an automatic process in which the number keeps increasing or decreasing by one. Clicking on the opposite arrow has no effect. Sometimes after several minutes it will stop, but today it appears to have no limit. As I write this the number has gone from 0 to -6000 and climbing. The program has frozen and force quitting will cause a loss of data but there appears to be no other remedy. Any explanation or theories on the cause, prevention, and escapes would be appreciated.

Monty

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Size and Position Pane - Unstoppable Incrementation

Post by dunbarx » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi.

Never seen this. It sounds horrible. Does clicking the "resizable" checkBox do anything while this is running? Cmd-Period?

What version of LC?

Craig

montymay

Post by montymay » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 am

Thanks for your reply. No, checking the Resizable checkbox or trying Ctrl+. (I’m using Win 10) has no effect. Running LC 9.5 but I encountered this behavior in 7 and 8 too.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:09 am

Runaway "activities" happen quite a lot for me in different guises at random intervals on Windows here too. The most frequent is clicking the scrollbar up or down arrow (once) in the script editor and have the editor pane scroll past the code you want all the way to the top or bottom. I don't know how to reproduce on demand. These may or may not be related, but if you submit a bug report, it might be that this gives an inkling to suggest the scrollbarDrag message should be investigated.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 am

I've seen this a few time, Win 10.

Most times I've managed to abort the problem by starting up the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Delete), that seems to take the focus away from LiveCode.
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:05 pm

I've only encountered something like this moving a really large group of items, however, the IDE's I use are extremely out of date as well.
that seems to take the focus away from LiveCode.
I wonder if just taking the focus off LiveCode is all it really takes, if [Alt + Tab]'ing to another open program wouldn't accomplish the same thing :?:

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:51 pm

I should have said I have never seen this and I am on a Mac.

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”