Playing Videos in Windows 10

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dpalmersce@gmail.com

Playing Videos in Windows 10

Post by dpalmersce@gmail.com » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 am

I know looking through the forum that this has been beaten to death but I still haven't found a clean answer to the problem. I am developing on Mac osX using livecode 9 for a Windows 10 computer. I am trying to play Several mp4 videos. These work fine on the Mac of course but sometimes it doesn't play at all and sometimes it just plays audio. I have loaded QuickTime on the PC which if I understand right is not really being used by livecode object player anymore. I have loaded LAV codecs but no luck. On this one I may not be loading or using them properly.

So I say all this to ask anyone for step by step with example help to figure this out before I pull what is left of my hair out! Also FYI, I am still a newbie who transferred from 18 years of working with director. So I may be heAding in a wrong direction all together.

Thank you for any help anyone can give!

bogs

Re: Playing Videos in Windows 10

Post by bogs » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 am

The only thing I could suggest is what was covered in a previous thread, where they suggested a codec pack specifically -
SparkOut wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:03 pm
LC players on Windows use the VFW api. This does not have the same codecs autobundled that other players have. The K-Lite codec pack normally sorts out the issue.
<sic>
Reading the whole thread might give you a clue as to where it is failing, they mention the api Lc targets on Windows for the 9.x series, and as you may have guessed, it is not quicktime anymore.

dpalmersce@gmail.com

Post by dpalmersce@gmail.com » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 pm

Thank you for your reply. I had already come across this post and tried all of the different things that were suggested and some of them work some of the time but it is not consistent. I can't understand why this issue hasn't been resolved. From all of the different post I have read, it seems to have been going on for 2 - 3 years.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Have you installed the K-Lite codec pack and rebooted the PC? That is the simple fix on Windows. If the simple fix doesn't work and needs a more complicated fix then it's hard to tell without more details.
Does the video play on the Windows PC in Groove or VLC or other players? If so, it's definitely the codec pack not being installed correctly. If not, is it possible to send a copy of the (worksafe) video to test?

dpalmersce@gmail.com

Post by dpalmersce@gmail.com » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:55 am

Thank you, Sparkout.

I did install the K-Lite codecs and reboot. It plays the mp4s but it wasnt consistent. It also was lagging. I decided to go with mpeg2s because they seem to be more friendly to livecode. During the process I also rethought the way I was handling the videos. I originally had them each in their own object player and had them go invisible if they were not in use or visible if they were selected to be used. I think this was overloading the memory. I have it now where they are stored externally and loaded into a single player when selected, but I am also using the mpgs. Because of my tight deadline I am going with the mpgs because it is working smooth but I will go back after I get some free time and check my theory. I think because it would play the mp4s sometimes with no problem that it was not a codec issue. After having 18 years working with Director, I am feeling like a rookie again with learning the ins and outs of livecode and how it prefers things to be done. 😁

Return to “Windows”