How to remove native buttons from the screen?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jellobus

How to remove native buttons from the screen?

Post by Jellobus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Hello,

How to remove native buttons from the screen? I tested fullscreenmode to "exactfit" but the native buttons are visible.
Do you guys know how to remove the native buttons?

Thanks for your time!

Louis

PS: I have tested LG G5 but I haven't tested with the Galaxy A70. I'm assuming that the native buttons would be shown with Galaxy A70.
Attachments
screenshot1.png

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to remove native buttons from the screen?

Post by jacque » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:01 pm

Those buttons are part of Android OS and provide primary navigation controls. Without them the user would not be able to operate their phone. Users expect those buttons to always be available.

Some apps do hide them temporarily until the user swipes up from the bottom of the screen (which is confusing to many users.) I don't know of any way to do that in LC. The closest command is mobileHideStatusBar, but it doesn't hide those buttons because that would lock the user into your app and require a forced reboot of the phone to get out.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi jacque,
Google Play now requires that the Android build supports 9.0. the new release of LC 9.5 dp2 will include support for the new requirement of Google.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32789&p=181165#p181165

If this update enables removal of native buttons, LC apps need additional work done to adopt a new screen ratio. (I have no idea about this update.)
Do you think that this update anything to do with the native buttons?

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:21 pm

It's very unlikely that LC (or any other IDE) will allow removal of the buttons because they are the only way the user can control their phone. Removing those buttons would be like a computer without a mouse or keyboard. The next version of Android will include gestures that do similar things but very few users will be able to update to the latest version, most will still rely on the soft buttons.

The LC update allows you to build 64-bit Android apps, which is now required for all apps submitted to the Google Play Store. Before this, LC only built 32-bit apps.

The existence of the buttons will hardly matter or be noticed to users, they are a fixture as ubiquitous as computer menu bars.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Jellobus

Post by Jellobus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your insight regarding this matter.

cheers, 8)

Louis

Return to “Android Deployment”