General do's and don'ts for standalones

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kaveh1000
Livecode Opensource Backer

General do's and don'ts for standalones

Post by kaveh1000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi all

Apologies that I am starting a new topic after some discussions on this topic:

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32981

but I think there is a general problem I have, in that my standalone stacks are not behaving as the IDE. For example, a field should be automatically filled with some text. It works fine as it has always done in IDE but the standalone has stopped working. There is a main stack and there are some 10 substacks.

Up to now, I have not seen any differences in behaviour from IDE to Standalone but it is now frustrating to see them. And hard to pin them down. I have looked at the Standalone Application Settings and tried to select correctly as far as I understood.

I am sorry this is very general, but I would be grateful for any points that I should specifically take care of when saving standalones.

Thanks.
Kaveh

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: General do's and don'ts for standalones

Post by dunbarx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:34 pm

HI.

Did you change LC versions from the time the standalones worked until now?

Standalones should functionally work the same as IDE stacks, as long as you stay fully inside the "stack" and its subStacks. Can you reproduce the difference between the two? If so, it might be very useful to us and the team.

Craig

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi Craig. No change. I have been on Indy 9.0.5rc1 for weeks. I just tried with 9.5 and same problem.

There is very little info that is not specific to my stack. But there might be a hint in the topic I originally started:

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32981

where in the IDE, something has gone wrong in my substacks, specifically relating to Data Grids which are complicated beasts!

I am now going back to a previous working version and patching scripts to get back to a working copy...
Kaveh

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Is the DataGrid library selected for inclusion in the standalone?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Interesting point. No it's not, Richard. But I never had it on and DataGrids were working in Standalone.

I tried switching on now and it seems there is an improvement in that I can navigate the DG. But there are other problems like fields not filling up automatically.

Anyway I have now laboriously rebuilt from a few days ago. Thankfully I had most script in the stack so not too many places to look!
Kaveh

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 am

kaveh1000 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:35 pm
Interesting point. No it's not, Richard. But I never had it on and DataGrids were working in Standalone.
Perhaps the others used automated inclusions?
I tried switching on now and it seems there is an improvement in that I can navigate the DG. But there are other problems like fields not filling up automatically.
Sounds like something is not getting a message it's expecting. What message triggers the field population?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:24 am

All good points:
Perhaps the others used automated inclusions?
No. I just tried converting an older stack using manual inclusion and DataGrid not checked. The DataGrid in the substack works perfectly.
Sounds like something is not getting a message it's expecting. What message triggers the field population?
Unfortunately stack is too complex to pin that down. :-(
Kaveh

kaveh1000

Post by kaveh1000 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi folks

I think I have found the problem. I installed Thierry's excellent sunnYrex for regex. When building standalones I did not follow instructions carefully and I did not add his stack to the build. The strange thing is that some things worked, using his macros and some unexpected things happened. Fingers crossed, following his patience and multiple emails, I think all is sorted. The latest builds reflect exactly what I see in the IDE.

It's always worrying when you have something that is hard to pinpoint and to reproduce. Anyway it is all learning. :-)
Kaveh

Return to “Talking LiveCode”