Provisioning Profile for ios

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trags3

Provisioning Profile for ios

Post by trags3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:38 am

Hi All, I have a problem re: provisioning profile.
In the Standalone Applications window when I click on the arrows to select the profile I have 2 copies of a profile for an app that I did (on another mac not available to me now) last year. I also have 2 copies of a provisioning profile named "IOS Team Provisioning Profile:*". I assume that I need to rename the wildcard profile or get a new profile for my new app. It was nearly a year ago when I set all of this up and I don't have a clue as to how I need to proceed.

Tom
Update

I managed to navigate through the maze of the Apple Developer's, Program website and generate a new developer provisioning profile for a new app. The problem now is in the list of provisioning profiles the new one shows as "Active" while the others show as "Active managed by xcode".
I know something isn't right. Do I need to wait for it to be approved or something or is there a way to insure xcode manages this profile?

Thanks
Tom

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Provisioning Profile for ios

Post by Simon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:50 am

Hi Tom,
No you do not have to wait for anything. Once you download your new provisioning profile just double click it to install. Best to use a naming convention for your profiles like Jan2014, just to keep track.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

lohill

Post by lohill » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:03 am

Tom,

I have been struggling with this myself lately. If you go to the iPhone Configuration Utility and use the Provisioning Profiles option you can see all of your profiles. For those that you no longer need just select and go to the Edit Menu and take delete. It is a lot simpler to work in a clean environment.

Larry

trags3

Post by trags3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:41 am

Simon, Thanks, but this is what I'm talking about. I have downloaded and installed the profile. It shows up as an option in the standalone settings window. The file compiles but I am not able to load the file on the device. I have 2 devices identified with the profile.

Thanks for the help but I am not quite there yet.

Tom
Attachments
Provision Profiles screenshot.tiff
This is a partial screenshot of the apple developer site showing my active provisioning profiles.

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 am

Hi Tom - you say it won't install on a device, so it builds OK for you? If so what error messages are you seeing and at what stage in the process do you see them? What settings are you using in the iOS tab of Standalone Application Settings dialog box? (actually a screenshot of that would be useful)

Also, if you open Xcode and then open preferences and in the accounts tab click on 'view details', and in there resulting screen click the 'refresh' button (it doesn't say 'refresh' on it but just shows the arrow-in-the-shape-of-a-circle image) you will see the state of your certificates and provisioning profiles...

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

trags3

Post by trags3 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Dave, Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure that the refresh in the xcode preferences fixed my problem.
I will finish testing a little later but for now all provisioning profiles are managed by xcode.
Tom

wizard

Post by wizard » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:31 pm

In El Captain the iPhone Configuration Utility has been removed. After struggling with this for several hours I found that "Profile Manager" is available from the App Store for Mac ($3.99 USD) and was the equivalent of the iPhone Configuration Utility for what I needed. I have no connection with the folks behind Profile Manager, but wanted to post this so that others do not have to go through similar struggles.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:50 pm

Problem with provisioning profile. The app compiles fine. In Xcode when transferring to the device it says "A valid provisioning profile for this executable cannot be found."

Couple of questions.

1. Who handles assignment of the provisioning profile? LiveCode or Xcode?

2. I downloaded a new provisioning profile after first making sure the device was listed on the Apple website. I double clicked the downloaded file, which presumably installed it (but no helpful message provided ie. "installation was successful", nothing like that.

3. Still get the same error message. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi Tom,
I wonder if the names of your provisioning profiles could be the problem.
I’ve got this sort of error message fixed after renaming profiles.
You may try with more signifiant names without space or upper chars
Good luck
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:06 am

So I solved my problem so in case anyone reads this and has something similar in the future you can avoid my mistake. On the provisioning and certificate page in Apple Developer, they have significantly changed the interface. Overall I think it is probably better, but I really still don't understand what we are doing or why. I just do it. When listing my profiles (keep in mind the error message in Xcode was "a valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found.") I saw one, "IOS Team Provisioning profile". Click on that and you will get a page to "Generate a Provisioning Profile". There are 3 button options: download, remove or save. I clearly was not in the mood to remove the only 1 I had. Nor did it look obvious to me that I needed to Save it. It looked like it was there already. So download I chose, a number of times as it turns out, to no avail. Same error message every time. That is pretty much when I gave up and posted my "Help" message. Hours later, seeing no advice, I decided to take another look and see if there was something I was missing. Ah yes, there is that Save button. What does that do? Lets click on it. WHAT? It says, and I quote, "Download and double click the following file to install your Provisioning Profile." So what was I doing before? It was downloading, that is for certain (as it kept increasing in numeric value every time, and whenever I click on these files nothing visibly changes. No "Installation was successful" message. Just nothing.) So how is this option different? Well, give it a whirl. And sure enough, problem disappears. It is hard to believe, really hard, that this was the company once feted for its ability to deliver a clear and unambiguous user interface. Boy those days are sure gone. Anyway, "Save" is your answer. The "Download" option does nothing useful that I can see. (More likely what the two options should say, clearly and unambiguously are, "Download your current Provisioning Profile" and "Create and Download a NEW provisioning profile". Or, if you insist on distilling this to the fewest number of words possible, "Download Current", "Download New". And there you have it. Soldier on.
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

Cheng

Post by Cheng » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 am

Hi,

I just had this issue few days back:
ERROR ITMS-90174: "Missing Provisioning Profile - Apps must contain a provisioning profile in a file named embedded.mobileprovision."

I tried your above method but to not avail. Each time you went into the Profile, the page will ask you to save. While its still good practice to save the page. I guess these 2 probably touched on different issues.

Any kind soul out there able to shed some light? Thanks in advance.
I am use the wildcard profile. But each time I have keyed in the bundle id suffix in the appleconnect page, I will get a new explicit identifier with the new suffix replaceing the *. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Cheng

Cheng

Post by Cheng » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm

Solved. Due to build misconfigured.

Thanks

Volker

Post by Volker » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 am

Cheng wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:40 pm
Solved. Due to build misconfigured.

Thanks
Hallo
Ich habe das gleiche Problem.
Was genau hast du falsch konfiguriert?
Entschuldigung das ich auf deutsch schreibe. Ich hoffe mir Antwortet trotzdem jemand.
Danke

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:09 pm

Leider kann ich mit diesem Problem nicht hilfen. Wenn Sie Antworten erwarten, waere es besser hier auf englisch die Frage zu schreiben. Ich habe heute Morgen die gleiche Frage auf englisch hier gut gelesen - jetzt auf deutsch. Es gibt hier http://www.livecode-blog.de/forums/foru ... ode-forum/ ein deutsches Forum, wenn Sie auf deutsch Ihre Frage stellen wollen, obwohl das Forum ja kleiner als hier ist. Aber hier schaetze ich dass wenige Antworten erreichen werden, wenn nicht auf englisch.

Return to “iOS Deployment”