MDFind not 'seeing' one of the attached drives

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: MDFind not 'seeing' one of the attached drives

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:58 pm
I hate to disagree but...
Don't sweat it, I make typo's too you know :P

On actually testing it out instead of relying on my rickety and often blurry memory, it turned out to be -
* 6-52'ish with an avg. around the low 20's (rough guess-timate) transferring to the thumb drive
* 20-90 MB's with an avg. around the low 40's (rough guess-timate) transferring to the Hd

The transfer rate apparently depends on the type of file as well.

However, you are talking about mech. drives attached to a usb enclosed hub, using (I am assuming) sata to usb conversion? In any case, I am thinking I remember a program that would backup a drive that deferred to run in the background, using any dead spots in the computers uptime or low resource allocation threading or some such.

While it would take a great deal of time, in other words, it would be less painful from your point of view since your other computer activity would take precedence.

Now, if that doesn't work for you, since you are talking about a hardrive, you might just pop it out of the usb connector and plant it in your case and direct back it up. Of course, that depends on how confident you are in playing with your hardware, I don't work on macs much and am not as familiar with the intricacies of their insides, but I know apple would love to void the warranty like a shot if you even popped it open (or so they've said in the past).

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Phew I'll stop sweating now.... :oops:

The good news is that my refactored app that uses arrays to store the lists of files has reduced the 36 minutes of the original down to 66 seconds. The majority of the time is being taken by reading the discs which takes 62 seconds. It shows that arrays are fast.
best wishes
Skids

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Simon Knight wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:15 pm
Phew I'll stop sweating now.... :oops:
Well, I think if I switch this pin to this block, and that pin to that block, and apply 1.21 gigawatts (or jigawatts depending on how you pronounce it) to the whole thing, THEN I might see 50-70 TB throughput...

...or I might just wind up with a computer that boots to yesterday afternoon... :twisted:

Simon Knight

Post by Simon Knight » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Guess what ?

Approximately forty eight hours after I forced spotlight to re-index the drive in question spotlight started including the drive in its searches.
best wishes
Skids

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm

Figures :?

Return to “Mac OS”