macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility.

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ewanrichardson

macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility.

Post by ewanrichardson » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Just a quick heads up that LC9 does not appear to run on the macOS 10.14 Mojave Beta as yet.

Might seem obvious, but might save someone somewhere some pain before they upgrade.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility.

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:58 am

Mojave has been released already?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

ewanrichardson

Post by ewanrichardson » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:55 am

Sure has, running it on a machine here.

Developer versions are up in the usual places. I really like dark mode.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:54 pm

ewanrichardson wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:55 am
Sure has, running it on a machine here.

Developer versions are up in the usual places.
Ah, yes, DP. Given how recently it was announced I didn't think the GM was out yet.

The LC team uses macOS a lot. I suspect any issues you've seen have been seen there as well.
I really like dark mode.
Yes, as an Ubuntu fan it's nice to see Apple follow Canonical's lead on that. ;)
Richard Gaskin

ewanrichardson

Re: macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility. (Update - now works!)

Post by ewanrichardson » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am

*** update ***
Now working with the latest update from apple.
Not seeing any issues so far, IDE working and building things fine!

megumi

Post by megumi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Not quite "everything" works, in my experience (LC Community Edition 9.0.4, macOS 10.14.5). LC does not yet seem to support the dark mode, in IDE and also in standalone apps.

If I am missing something or doing something wrong, please help me to LC and LC projects to inherit the system colour (light or dark mode) properly. But if this is an issue yet to be addressed by LC developers, then I wish to draw their attention to this.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi megumi,

"Dark/Light Mode" is not (yet?) supported by Livecode!
And I don't think we will see this any time soon.

Best

Klaus

megumi

Post by megumi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Thank you, Klaus, for confirming the fact that LC does not currently support macOS's Light/Dark mode.

But when you say you don't think this Light/Dark mode support in LC any time soon, may I ask why? Does LC team think it's not important? Or is it too difficult? Since Light/Dark mode is a part of an OS, and LC is supposed to be able to inherit default colours from the host OS, I think it is important for LC to support the Light/Dark mode. I admit it's only a cosmetic issue, but when I make apps, I would like them to behave and look well. It happens that I do not code professionally to make living, but for those who do, this is going to be negatively impact their business, I imagine, if their products do not support an OS feature after many months of its introduction.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:00 pm

megumi wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm
But when you say you don't think this Light/Dark mode support in LC any time soon, may I ask why?
This is just my personal assumption.
megumi wrote:
Does LC team think it's not important?
I have no idea what going on in their heads. :D

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Worth submitting an enhancement request for:
https://quality.livecode.com/
Richard Gaskin

wsamples

Post by wsamples » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:25 pm

megumi wrote:
Since Light/Dark mode is a part of an OS, and LC is supposed to be able to inherit default colours from the host OS, I think it is important for LC to support the Light/Dark mode. I admit it's only a cosmetic issue, but when I make apps, I would like them to behave and look well. It happens that I do not code professionally to make living, but for those who do, this is going to be negatively impact their business, I imagine, if their products do not support an OS feature after many months of its introduction.
I think your position is fair, and I agree. I personally dislike dark themes very strongly and as a Linux user pretty much exclusively, it always bothers me that Linux desktop screenshots - people showing off how beautiful and cool their desktop is - are so heavily biased towards dark themes. LiveCode has always had issues with dark themes in Linux although it has gotten better, and I would imagine that the new option in MacOS presents some similar under-the-hood challenges. I would also imagine that LiveCode will have to provide some accommodation for it and observations such as yours may help motivate them. Have you filed a bug report?

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:48 pm

wsamples wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:25 pm
I personally dislike dark themes very strongly and as a Linux user pretty much exclusively, it always bothers me that Linux desktop screenshots - people showing off how beautiful and cool their desktop is - are so heavily biased towards dark themes.
I'm with you, I tend to prefer lighter, or at least, more colorful themes, but then, I'm old and cranky and need help lightening up :P

megumi

Post by megumi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:30 pm

I have reported this issue to https://quality.livecode.com/ as a bug report (Bug 22221). I was not sure if it should be a bug report or enhancement request, but since system colour inheritance should be something that should work but it is not working, I decided it was more about a bug than about new feature request.

I am happy that macOS can now give a choice to the users between light and dark mode. Before this choice came with macOS 10.14, I was happy with macOS's only available theme (which I guess was the light theme), and LC stacks inherited a nice grey colour from the OS for the stack background. I expected that to remain the same in 10.14, if I chose the light mode, but no. Whether I choose light or dark mode, LC gets a plain white as a default stack background colour. This does not make sense. Of course, I can set whatever colour I like for my stack, but that is not the point. The point is that LC should inherit the system colour from whatever OS is the host environment.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Since I have neither a mac, nor any current version of Lc running, I'm curious as to whether or not Lc can detect which theme is in use on a mac, like you can detect the version or some such.

If so, a simple case/switch or if/then might suffice for building applications until it is included in the IDE itself.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 pm

Before Apple took up the Ubuntu-looking Dark Mode, the only theming option was a choice between gray or blue highlights. LiveCode does recognize that change.

The difficulty with Dark Mode is that it requires not just OS support for things like default window background color, but also the app dev'a diligence in changing the appearance every control that has a color assigned to it.

Still, for the subset of apps that use only OS defaults across their entire UI, it would be nice to see this supported automatically.

In the meantime, setting the default background color of the mainstack in a standalone should cause every substack with no color assigned to pick it up.
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Mac OS”