Sheep Herder

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Mbessette

Sheep Herder

Post by Mbessette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 am

So I'm back in town and trying to work out the Sheep Herder tutorial. Challenges here are definitely that the guide is using an older version of Livecode so it looks different and the guide does not explain exactly what controls he's using to accomplish certain things. I'm currently struggling to figure out where I'm going wrong as at the end of the first tutorial when I test the app no boxes are being produced.

The first issue I think I'm having is that when I try to "Group" the control buttons and then open the Property Inspector, it's not opening up to a Property Inspector for a Group but either for an individual Object or for "Multiple Objects." Beyond that when I try to Group them again it just chimes at me as it's already been done.

The second that I think could be wrong is in the white button that I created, however at the end if the video it has you turn it invisible and I have no idea how to make it reappear without creating a new one?

I'm sorry if I'm being at all broad here, I'm not 100% sure how to explain this better. On a side note if anyone knows of a tutor that could help me expedite learning this program I'd love to get in touch with them.

Thanks,
-Matthew

bogs

Re: Sheep Herder

Post by bogs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 am

Mbessette wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 am
On a side note if anyone knows of a tutor that could help me expedite learning this program I'd love to get in touch with them.
Well, far as I know, your already at tutor central :D

You didn't mention which version of Lc your using, but from the 'older version' remark, I'll guess it is 8.x.
The first issue I think I'm having is that when I try to "Group" the control buttons and then open the Property Inspector, it's not opening up to a Property Inspector for a Group but either for an individual Object or for "Multiple Objects."
When you group something, if the property inspector is already open, it will immediately show the group itself, like so.
Selection_003.png
The only time I ever see the property inspector *not* do this is if you have 'Select Grouped' on. If it looks like this -
Selection_005.png
Selection_005.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
then click on it and it should revert to this -
allowing you to select the group by clicking on any control inside it.
...You can also get to the group properties either though the application browser or the project browser by right clicking on the group.
Selection_004.png
Selection_004.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Mbessette wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:56 am
The second that I think could be wrong is in the white button that I created, however at the end if the video it has you turn it invisible and I have no idea how to make it reappear without creating a new one?
Well, there are a couple of ways to go about this. You can always locate any control, visible or not, in the application or project browsers, then right click, properties, and check 'visible'. Alternately, if you know the name of the control, you can open the message box and type

Code: Select all

set the visible of button "myWhiteButton" to true
and wha-laa, your button is visible.

Drop in any time, we love company :D
Last edited by bogs on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

teriibi

Post by teriibi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:58 am

Hi Mat,

The making group, unmaking group can be tricky if you dont select well the objects to be "grouped".

Under Windows to group 2 objects I do :
clic o the first one
Shift+clic on the second one...and so on with any third one...

Only then can I clic "GROUP".
(sometime I have to clic Group several time to make sure it worked)

To check if they ARE grouped, I select a Group, and clic Object properties :
It should display the name "Group MyGroupname"
if it displays "Widget MyWidgetname" it means I failled on grouping this widget...

To ungroup, its easier, Select your Group and choose "UNGROUP" from the menu.

So Clic... then.... Shift Clic ...should do the work.

You can (or should) name each object with its own distinct name...
&... give the group a distinct name too.
Also its not mandatory, it just make things easier to see if you re REALLY editing ...a Whole Group, or just the Rectangle part of it...or another widget.

Its very easy to give them (by mistake) all the same name while saving each...and you wont get any error msg doing so... ;)

Picture below shows:
1 A group properties. (THe letter A + the Grey rectangle background)
2 An object properties. (In this case the Widget "A")
that way you know if you are dealing with the Group or just one of its components only.

Attachments
object grouped.png

Mbessette

Post by Mbessette » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 am

I'm using the latest version of Livecode 9.11 to clarify that.

Thanks for the quick response. The Select Grouped was on! So that solved that. I was able to find the Message Box pretty easily but for future reference where do I find the application browser? I don't see an option for it anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
-Matthew 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 am

I think that I would recommend sticking to a stable version of Lc if your just starting out. 9.11 is a dp (or developer preview) version, and may not be the most stable thing around. Generally people who use it are trying to find flaws or bugs in it, which can then be patched before the dp goes into the stable branch.

Right now, the stable series (marked stable) would be the 8.1.9 in the series.
Mbessette wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 am
where do I find the application browser
Heh, that one is on me, I should have checked before speaking. Apparently when I was not looking, the application browser got removed (go figure). It used to be in the tools menu, but I don't see it as of version 8.1.6. However, you can still open the project browser, again you'll find that under tools as well.

Speaking of menu items, if you ever set something invisible and want it visible the quickest way, you might go to the 'view' menu -> show invisible objects, which I probably should have mentioned first, but it is getting close to my nighty bye time.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:52 am

Hi,
bogs wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:30 am
Apparently when I was not looking, the application browser got removed (go figure). It used to be in the tools menu, but I don't see it as of version 8.1.6.
For some strange reason it got hidden in the "Development/ Plugins" menu. As "revApplicationOverview".

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:23 pm

In all honesty, I don't use the AB very much at all except in 2.2.1, where it is pretty much the only game in town. I much prefer the PB, but I know in the last versions there was a discussion about the PB slowing the whole works down if you had a lot of open controls.
YMMV, IANAL, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, ETC ETC etc...

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”