Over the air installation

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

uncleb

Over the air installation

Post by uncleb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:55 am

Hi all,

I've been successfully installing iOS 10 apps onto iPads using the over-the-air process described here:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22832

My confusion is this - the process works for those iPads whose UDIDs are included in the app's provisioning profile but it also works for apps that are not. In other words, I seem to be able to install any app I build on any iPad, all from outside the App Store.

As wonderful as this is - and if it continues it would make my job a lot easier - I was under the very strong impression that Apple don't allow that. Anyone got a clue as to whats going on? Have they relaxed their rules recently?

The apps are built using 8.1.2 Indy and Xcode 8.1 if that makes any difference. Any thoughts appreciated!

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Over the air installation

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

I haven't checked in a long time, but my experience is that any iOS app will install. But it won't run. At the end of the installation process a cryptic message appears and the app becomes dormant or disappears.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

uncleb

Post by uncleb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:37 am

Sorry I should have been clearer - they all install and run - tested on three different iPads (in different locations). Thats the strange thing. Still running as of this morning, nearly three days after installation.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:19 pm

If you are using the same provisioning profile for every app, and if it is a generic company profile without a specific application designated (i. e., it ends with an asterisk) then the profile is good for any app you create. This is a convenience for developers but you'd want to create an app-specific profile when you release.

uncleb

Post by uncleb » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Each development prov profile I've used is different at the end (e.g. com.myprof.fre, com.myprof.dsw etc) but I've tested them including only two devices - and ANY device can install the apps and run them. I thought they would only install and run if a device's UDID was in the provisioning profile - or do development profiles work with any device (in which case why do we bother adding devices to them)?

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:29 am

Good question. In the past, they only worked with the designated devices. Maybe someone else knows why this is happening.

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:27 pm

@uncleb I would class this as WEIRD and SPOOKY!

I use Jacque's AirLaunch rather than your (Simon's) method and I've never been able to have an app with a development provisioning profile run on a device where that device's UDID wasn't included in the provisioning profile

I wonder if Apple has recently amended the structure of the plist file which is letting your apps slip through - are you on Sierra? Which version of LC and Xcode?

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

uncleb

Post by uncleb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:07 pm

The apps are built using 8.1.2 Indy (build 14013) and Xcode 8.1 (8B62). My Mac is running El Capitan 10.11.6...

Return to “iOS Deployment”