Remove Carriage Returns

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

bbhank

Re: Remove Carriage Returns

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:45 pm

Yes, I understand how fields are delimited. The data coming from the database is fine except for the Description field. This is the only field that needs changing.

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Seems like this should work:
put pDataArray["label 11"] into dText
replace CRLF with "---" in dText
set the text of field "Description" of me to dText

It doesn't.
Here's possibly, why. LiveCode can't see the line feed and carriage return characters in the field - Only in the record itself.

If these characters could be made visible and usable to LiveCode the field might be able to be cleaned. Been looking all over for some info on making all characters in a single field visible in LiveCode. :(
Last edited by bbhank on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:44 pm

REPLACE(event_desc, char(13) + char(10), '---')

This is posted as a way to remove these characters in several different SQL forums and is said to consistently work. There were a lot of forums using this who say it works. Tried to get this to work in LiveCode. The "apply" button says there are no errors but when run it returns errors no matter where it's used. LiveCode forums don't mention it or show any to do this in a field instead of in a whole record. A method to clean a single field of these characters is needed.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi bbhank,
bbhank wrote:Seems like this should work:
replace CRLF with "---" in dText
set the text of field "Description" of me to dText

It doesn't.
Here's possibly, why. LiveCode can't see the line feed and carriage return characters in the field - Only in the record itself.
Nope! At this point there is no more CR in that field or array key!
You need to prevent this much earlier, this already happens when you convert the database data to an array!
Looks like you did not really understand your problem so far, please read up my long answer again.
bbhank wrote: REPLACE(event_desc, char(13) + char(10), '---')
Is this a SQL command? At least this is no valid LC syntax.
If in doubt, always consult the dictionary!

Best

Klaus

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Looks like you did not really understand your problem so far, please read up my long answer again.
I DO UNDERSTAND!!

You all keep telling me how to change the query and I'm asking how to change the data in one of the fields returned from the query. The original question specifically asked about the Description field, not the whole result.

With that posted query, I know where the query came from and that it's SQL. I'm looking for solutions on this end too.

Please re-read the original question.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:12 pm

bbhank wrote:Looks like you did not really understand your problem so far, please read up my long answer again.
I DO UNDERSTAND!
No, you don't! :D
bbhank wrote:You all keep telling me how to change the query and I'm asking how to change the data in one of the fields returned from the query. The original question specifically asked about the Description field, not the whole result.
It is a matter of ORDER here!
1. you need to FIRST fetch the data from the database and
2. THEN you can change the content of the query and then
3. convert the data to an array for use in a datagrid.

But for getting the correct data back, especially for your "Description" field, you need to adjust the SQL query,
by using an other RECORD delimiter than CR!
You query presumes that all of the content contain ONE-liners, which your "problem" field does not!
At this point:

Code: Select all

pDataArray["label 11"] already contains "corrupted" data (only the first LINE of the actual db field "Description"),
so you need to take care of this earlier.

And earlier means a combination of an adjusted query and conversion of the db data to datagrid array.

Best

Klaus

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

That's what I've been asking all along. pDataArray["label 11"] already contains "corrupted" data (only the first LINE of the actual db field "Description") - I was already aware of how this works and this is why I asked the question about that specific field and not about the whole query in the original post.

so you need to take care of this earlier. Where? How?

There's no good, solid information on how to do this readily available on the web. This is a common problem and I found several solutions that work on other systems. So far, none of the instructions found work in LiveCode, and LiveCode, so far, doesn't have an answer.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi bbhank,
bbhank wrote:That's what I've been asking all along.
and we have been trying to explain this to you all along :D
bbhank wrote:pDataArray["label 11"] already contains "corrupted" data (only the first LINE of the actual db field "Description") -
I was already aware of how this works and this is why I asked the question about that specific field and not about the whole query in the original post.
If you want to use only ONE (universal) query, then it is not possible to fetch the data in different ways!
One query is valid for all fetched data in this query.
bbhank wrote:so you need to take care of this earlier. Where? How?
Already (tried to) explained this a couple of times:
Use the query that AxWald suggested and take the differnt FIELD and RECORD delimiters into account when you convert
the data from the quety to an array for us in the datagrid.
If in doubt, please post your appropriate handler here and we will adjust it to your needs.
bbhank wrote:There's no good, solid information on how to do this readily available on the web.
Maybe, but that is neither my nor LCs fault :D

There are actually 2 ways how to deal with/solve this problem:
1. Make sure that the data in the database are entered correctly!
The ideal case, but we probably do not have any influence on that.
2. Take this possible inconvenience into account and act/query accordingly, e.g. as described here.

Best

Klaus

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 pm

You got it! :D

Here's what I'm thinking about. Export the database. Clean the Description field. Re-import. That'll fix what's there. All new entries have to go through the admin process anyway for approval. Now,thanks to you folks, that I know way more about what's happening, I can manually clean that field on each entry until the main program can be modified to do that. It's given us fits in other uses too.

And thank you all for putting up with my succinctness. 8) :D :P

Tried it and it worked.
I exported the table. The carriage returns and line feeds were taken out on export.
Then the table truncated - All the records taken out.
The table was re-imported without carriage returns and line feeds.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:03 am

PHEW!!!! :)
This was like a bad romance story.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 pm

:D :)

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Still waiting for my last question to be answered, so much for "Succinct answers...".
No need to get stroppy: the contributors to this forum do it for LOVE, so a little bit of patience might not be a bad thing.
CRET.png
Special "Moronic" method.
Attachments
C Ret remover.livecode.zip
Have fun with the stack.
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Richmond,
richmond62 wrote:
Still waiting for my last question to be answered, so much for "Succinct answers...".
No need to get stroppy: the contributors to this forum do it for LOVE, so a little bit of patience might not be a bad thing.
you obviously did not read the whole thread. 8)
richmond62 wrote:
CRET.png
Special "Moronic" method.
And you also completely missed the point of it! :D

Best

Klaus

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 pm

The problem is how to keep the whole contents in one field so that the returns don't cause it to go to the next Description field.
Surely, as in the method I outlined, if the textString is stripped of its carriage returns (and replaced with a SPACE if you want to), the things shouldn't start chopping
itself up, as the RETURNS have been removed?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:38 pm

The real problem here was NOT to remove CRs from a field in Livecode!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”