LiveCode on ElCapitan

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lohill

LiveCode on ElCapitan

Post by lohill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:10 am

Has anyone here used LiveCode on ElCapitan? I wish I hadn't 'upgraded". Using LineCode Indy 7.1 I am getting horrible performance in the IDE. Almost anything I do results in a spinning beach ball for up to ten seconds. Do I have some setting wrong or ?

Larry

PBH
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode on ElCapitan

Post by PBH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:28 am

I'm using LC Indy 7.1 on a MacBook Pro running El Capitan and it's working fine apart from 1 small bug I found with menu buttons. I did have some problems with LC8 and they turned out to be bugs in a plugin stack. I've now dumped a load of plugins that I no longer use and that's removed the gremlins. I know there are a few others using El Capitan as well as some at LC HQ and there doesn't seem to be too many conflicts that I've seen reported so far.

One performance related problem I did have a while-ago was too many files in the 'My Livecode' folder that contains the Plugins folder, apparently LC scans this folder regularly, so lots of files in there can cause a slowdown, since emptying that folder I don't have any slow performance problems anymore.

Another thing to check for is font conflicts, it's less of an issue these days, but it's always been a source of performance problems on any system.

Paul

lohill

Post by lohill » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:04 am

Paul,

When you say your 'LiveCode folder' are you referring to the applications folder or some other folder?
I have multiple versions of LC in my applications folder and often run different versions in different work spaces.

Regards,
Larry

PBH

Post by PBH » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:05 am

The 'My Livecode' folder just refers to the parent folder that contains the 'Plugins' folder, it's usually in your Documents folder. I suspect this goes back to v4 or 5, but I got used to saving projects into that folder, until it became a problem!

Regards,

Paul.

skindoc4

Post by skindoc4 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:26 am

I have recently upgraded to El Capitan. Livecode is crashing both in the IDE and standalone when I click on a menu but take the mouse out without making a selection. It happens every time. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour. I lost a stack of notes in a medical application I use because of this behaviour so I am keen to find a solution. This did not happen with Yosemite.

PBH

Post by PBH » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:23 am

skindoc4 wrote:I have recently upgraded to El Capitan. Livecode is crashing both in the IDE and standalone when I click on a menu but take the mouse out without making a selection. It happens every time. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour. I lost a stack of notes in a medical application I use because of this behaviour so I am keen to find a solution. This did not happen with Yosemite.
I reported this as a bug recently against LC8.0.0 (dp6), it has been fixed in LC 8.0.0 (dp7), but unfortunately not in LC 7.1.0 just yet. It may be worth you adding a comment to the bug report so the LC team know there are more people with the same problem, or you could open a new bug report relating to LC7.1.0, if you do I'll add a comment to it, I had crashes in LC7.1.0 too.

The QC bug report for the LC8.0.0 problem is: http://quality.runrev.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16074

I'm now working with LC8.0.0 (dp7) on El Capitan and it seems to be running pretty well.

Paul

skindoc4

Post by skindoc4 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Paul

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I haven't ever opened a bug report so I shall chase it down.

I think I will give LC 8 a try to avoid the problem. It cost me quite a bit of time when I had to retype my patient's notes. Happened several times for several losses of information until I twigged to the problem.

Cheers

Alex

PBH

Post by PBH » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Just one caution, LC8 is not considered as stable, so you should back-up your current work (in which ever version you currently use), then save regularly in LC8.

Paul

skindoc4

Post by skindoc4 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 am

Hi Paul

I've added an extra save (to the database) into my application so that I limit data loss in the event of a crash. That was my main concern. I save almost every time I update code so that has been less of a worry.

I have found 8 a little glitchy - icons disabled when they should be enabled, for example - so I shall stick to 7 for the time being. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Alex

paulclaude

Post by paulclaude » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:23 pm

skindoc4 wrote:I have recently upgraded to El Capitan. Livecode is crashing both in the IDE and standalone when I click on a menu but take the mouse out without making a selection. It happens every time. Has anyone else noticed this behaviour. I lost a stack of notes in a medical application I use because of this behaviour so I am keen to find a solution. This did not happen with Yosemite.
Same problem for me. I hope there will be very soon an upgrade to LC 7, waiting for the final release of LC 8.

PBH

Post by PBH » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:21 pm

The menu crashing problem has been fixed in the latest releases, LC7.1.1(rc1) & LC8.1(dp7).

Paul

meitnik
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by meitnik » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:00 am

I am legally blind; so the tiny font sizes used throughout 10.11.1 is making my brain and eyes work much harder. I am concerned that LC will still allow/support larger font sizes for all the widgets of the Mac OSX support.
I have heard from several dev friends that Apple is pushing hard that devs should not tinker or increase font size in apps created; only use the default font sizes (9 and 10 often!!!).

Please put me at ease about this issue in regard to LC 7.x/8.x. Thank you.

ps and no zoom will not enlarge smoothly tiny fonts on non 4k iMac, it might with 4k iMacs. I am seeking screen shorts to this point from anyone. And zoom was not designed to be a 24/7 solution either.

Andrew Meit

Return to “Mac OS”