pdf creation in windows 8

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Geoff.Macumber

pdf creation in windows 8

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:40 am

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum although I have become an avid Livecode developer. I have been using it for around a year now but have come across a problem that seems insurmountable (to me!). I was developing on XP until a few months ago when I got a new Windows 8 platform. All development is now on W8. I then produce a .exe for distribution to my users. They are using a number of different windows platforms including XP, Vista, W7 and W8. Once I/we launch our product in a few weeks we will be marketing to a potential 5-6000 users here and then many 1,000's more overseas.

My problem is this:-

the statement [open printing to pdf "pathanme"] works fine in W8 but when the .exe is run on any other Windows platform it hangs.

I have tried everything I can think of but no luck. This is a show stopper for our launch in 4 weeks so I am a bit worried. When I was developing on XP this problem did not exist.

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: pdf creation in windows 8

Post by LCNeil » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 am

Hi Geoff,

This sounds like a bug. If possible, could you supply a sample stack and write a short report on the issue @ http://quality.runrev.com and our Quality Control team will happily investigate it further.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
LiveCode Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
--

Geoff.Macumber

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:27 am

Hi Neil,

I have submitted bug report 13885.

Regards Geoff Macumber

Geoff.Macumber

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:41 am

Hi Neil,

I have tried to provide a full explanation with details of the code and the version we are on but i keep getting an error that my account does not allow URLs or page references. I tried many ways but to no avail. The details are in the bug report (13885).

regards Geoff Macumber.

newtronsols

Post by newtronsols » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:23 am

Didn't look at your code but release note says:

You should now set 'formatForPrinting' to true for stacks you are printing to PDF on Windows. This will
ensure the metrics of the text match those which PDFs expect. Note that 'formatForPrinting' on Windows
will now display on screen with the same metrics.

From Dictionary:
e.g. set the formatForPrinting of stack "Print Template" to true

Ref:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ ... -6_5_0.pdf

Geoff.Macumber

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:07 am

Hi all,

This problem has not yet gone away. I am able to further define that in the IDE (development environment?) there is no issue. The PDF's are created no problem. When I produce a stand alone exe no PDF output is produced. Once the script hits the "open printing to pdf PathName" statement nothing further is executed. I have answer immediately after the open statement. In the IDE the answer is executed but in a stand alone it is not. I have gone over all of the forums and hunted until I am blue in the face but absolutely nothing works! It is very frustrating. I have played with every single setting I can find and have checked the order of statements and also file permissions. I even changed where it was printing to use the specialfolderpath("desktop") and it still does not work as a stand alone. I have also made sure that the default stack and folder are OK and all permissions up and down the line are OK.

Can somebody please tell me how to print to a PDF in a stand alone?

I am currently on version 6.6.2 on Windows 8 and we are about to launch our product so don't want to upgrade to the next version just yet. Previously I was on Windows XP so I even went back to that but the result was the same.

Geoff Macumber

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi Geoff,

just to be sure: You DID check "PDF Printer" in the standalone builder settings "General" for your standalone? 8)

Best

Klaus

Geoff.Macumber

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes I did. I also tried putting the path to the path to the revpdfprinter.dll into the copy files section of the stand alone settings. I also tried settingh and unsetting the format for printing option in the stack properties but nothing changes.

Geoff.Macumber

Post by Geoff.Macumber » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Hi all,

I also posted this problem under another topic and the problem is now resolved at the suggestion of Jacqui. It appears that the dll was not being included in the stand alone so copying it into the folder where the stand alone resides fixed it. All praise to Jacqui!

Regards Geoff.

Return to “Windows”