Low graphics in android device

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

francof

Low graphics in android device

Post by francof » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:48 am

Hi all,
take a look at the image below:
Immagine.jpg
on the left how the app appears into the android simulator (2.3.3 api 10, 480x800)
on the right in windows, LC run mode.

is it normal the different aspect, how can I say: not beautiful, poor for me. of the objects?
squared buttons, backgrounds color of fields, etc

best
franco

newtronsols

Re: Low graphics in android device

Post by newtronsols » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:03 pm

That's why people use http://mobgui.com/index.php for mobile.

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dave.kilroy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi francof

newtronsols is quite right in that MobGui does a 'skinning' job to make controls look pretty rather than the current pretty yearch-looking versions that LiveCode presents us with - and it also helps in the creation of native controls. But there are other frameworks you could use such as Scott Rossi's tmControls2 (http://tmtools.tactilemedia.com/tmcontrol2/index.html)

However, as both of these frameworks do a lot of the work for you, they also mean they can make it harder to learn how to use native controls 'normally' and how to execute skinning of objects yourself (and in my experience unless you are building something fairly basic you will need to customise something or other and will need to get 'down and dirty' with their code anyway).

So, while both John Craig and Scott Rossi have made fantastic products which I admire, have bought, and use on occasions - I would advise a careful weighing up of their pros and cons before choosing

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

francof

Post by francof » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:52 pm

HI newtronsols, Dave.

so it seems that, unless using some plugs-in, I must create my own skin for, we say, buttons.
my needs are not special. for me was sufficient as the objects appear in win (I will play with PS).

one more thing, please:
is it normal that icons of buttons are not shows in android device?

thanks for your help
best
franco

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:37 am

Hi franco,
is it normal that icons of buttons are not shows in android device?
Nope.
Sounds like you may have used external referenced images that were not included in your build. There are good reasons to do that but if you don't intend to change them then just import the images into the stack. Heather @ runrev has a lesson where she imports all her images into a separate card that is never accessed by the app. I just bring them in and set the visibility to false, they will show as icons in the buttons.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

francof

Post by francof » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Simon.

no, I have used some icons present in the Icons & Border property of the buttons.
by clicking on the "magic wand" button at the right side of field "Icon" > Image library: Standard Icons
must I import used icons into "This Stack" Image library?

best
franco

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:10 am

Hi franco

There are various ways of setting the icon of a button - but yes, if you are using the 'magic wand' in the inspector and you want to use an image embedded in the stack then you need to choose from 'This Stack'

I guess you've seen the following lesson http://lessons.runrev.com/m/4071/l/19144-skinning

Dave

francof

Post by francof » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi Dave,

yes I've seen the lesson you mentioned. I've understood that way to set icon of a button was for "external" files.
so, if the standard icons image library are already available, how can I import? and why see I them in my buttons in Win?

here in front the app from Android emulator, back the same card in Win with the icon btn visible.
Immagine.jpg
I do not understand anything!

EDIT:
dave.kilroy wrote: ...
- but yes, if you are using the 'magic wand' in the inspector and you want to use an image embedded in the stack then you need to choose from 'This Stack'
How can I use the icons available in the image library ? if it's possible.

best
franco

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi franco

Well I don't currently have Android set up but I just tested in LC 7 and 6.5 against Xcode 6.01 (on Yosemite) and for neither of them can I get an icon from the 'standard icons' to appear in the iOS simulator - and am assuming this is what is happening to you...

I've tested icons from images saved as part of the stack and they appear just fine in the simulator (and also checked referenced images and they also are fine)

I think those 'standard icons' are legacy from Hypercard and RunRev never bothered to include them in mobile builds (and indeed they would look a bit strange being so small/low resolution) - Richard/Simon can you give an history on these icon sets?

So it's not true that you don't understand anything! You do, but just happen to be lucky enough to have found a LiveCode 'wrinkle' (if not a bug) and at the least a note in the documentation should be added to prevent others falling into the same hollow you found.

Hopefully this will sort out your issue - please let us know how you got on

Dave

francof

Post by francof » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:24 pm

ciao Dave,
dave.kilroy wrote:Hi franco

Well I don't currently have Android set up but I just tested in LC 7 and 6.5 against Xcode 6.01 (on Yosemite) and for neither of them can I get an icon from the 'standard icons' to appear in the iOS simulator - and am assuming this is what is happening to you...

I've tested icons from images saved as part of the stack and they appear just fine in the simulator (and also checked referenced images and they also are fine)
Yes, it is what is happening to me too. and yes: images "Imported As Control" are fine in emulation (and real device too).
dave.kilroy wrote: ...
just happen to be lucky enough to have found a LiveCode 'wrinkle' (if not a bug) and at the least a note in the documentation should be added to prevent others falling into the same hollow you found.
Dave
I had a stroke of luck... :)

so I will create my own icons. there is some stock (freeware) of images that can be used?
well, thanks a lot, you solve my doubts

best
franco

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:45 pm

francof

It just so happens that I have two 'seats' for LiveCode's "App Template & Icons Pack" - I'll message you a link and password privately...

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Images in the library work in the IDE because the library is in memory. That stack is not available in your standalone. You should import the icon images you want to use from that library, which you can do using the buttons at the bottom under the icon grid.

I'm not at my computer right now so I can't check, but look for a button labelled Import to stack, or something similar.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

francof

Post by francof » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Dave,
I replied to you. thanks

Jaqueline,
thanks for your explanation. under the icons grid I see only a Cancel and a Ok buttons (LC 6.7) also tried a right click on the icon, but do not works

best
franco

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm back at my Mac now and I see I have misinformed you. I apologize. I was thinking that "library" meant you were using the image library, but I see now you were just clicking on the magic wand next to the icon in the property inspector. The image library duplicates the available icons that the inspector shows you, and that's how you import the built-in icon images (and others) into your stack. Do this:

Open the Image Library from the Development menu.
Use the popdown button to choose the library you want.
Select the image to import.
Click the "Place Image" button.

That will move it into your stack. Then you can click the property inspector's magic wand to see the images list you have been using. Choose "This stack" from the popdown menu and assign the icon.

Or easier, just note the ID of the imported image and type it into the field in the property inspector. Or use the message box to do it:

Code: Select all

set the icon of btn <buttonName> to <ID number>
Sorry about the misleading response earlier.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks for this Jacque - I don't remember really noticing the image/object library before, and now I have :)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”