current commercial livecode server version

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

tguimond

current commercial livecode server version

Post by tguimond » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:37 am

Hello,
I haven't seen a commercial update to livecode server for awhile. The last version I have listed is 6.6.1. Is the only version of livecode server available now the community edition? Any announcements?

Thanks,
Tim

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: current commercial livecode server version

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:50 am

LiveCode Server is maintained with every build, but at the moment almost no one needs the Commercial Edition so they haven't built that in a while.

Unless you're making a server product which requires you to bundle the Server executable, the Community Edition is probably all you need.

See the last box in the first question of this FAQ:
http://livecode.com/support/ask-a-question/
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

tguimond

Post by tguimond » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:27 am

Well, a product that will require the LiveCodeServer bundled with it is exactly what I am working toward. Though that is still a ways off.

I guess I don't see what the problem is with keeping the commercial version up to date. They are building the community edition regularly, why not keep the commercial version up to date as well. We are programmers after all, shouldn't our websites and products be up to date? Though, isn't it always the painter's house that needs painting?

Thanks,
Tim
p.s. I asked support about this awhile ago and was told that the updates would be provided through the store login. I thought I had missed an announcement about the support of the LiveCodeServer.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:06 am

tguimond wrote:Well, a product that will require the LiveCodeServer bundled with it is exactly what I am working toward. Though that is still a ways off.
Personally I use Linux standalones for proprietary server apps. There are a few differences, like needing to call the merge function explicitly rather than having it implicit, and Server's implicit merge has a few options the regular merge function doesn't have. But for the stuff I'm using it for a standalone works very well. In fact, if you visit livecodejournal.com everything there is generated dynamically from a LiveCode standalone, all the way down to the data store.
I guess I don't see what the problem is with keeping the commercial version up to date. They are building the community edition regularly, why not keep the commercial version up to date as well. We are programmers after all, shouldn't our websites and products be up to date?
It seems you and I are among the very few in the community right now with the need to not only make and use but also commercially distribute proprietary server apps. The Server Community Edition is licensed under GPL, not AGPL, so it works well for most commercial needs, since most folks are outputting data, web pages, or other services, and very rarely need to redistribute the Server engine itself.

But for those cases where delivery of proprietary server distribution is needed, it looks like you found that Commercial is indeed maintained in parallel with Community:
p.s. I asked support about this awhile ago and was told that the updates would be provided through the store login. I thought I had missed an announcement about the support of the LiveCodeServer.
Thanks for that - I see it now in my own account. I guess putting it into the account section obviates having to make some complicated licensing scheme, would could be problematic on a server.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “CGIs and the Server”