Standalone error report Community 6.7 resolution needed

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

talb3709
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Standalone error report Community 6.7 resolution needed

Post by talb3709 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:33 am

Greetings,

I can successfully create a standalone stack under Livecode 5.5.

Trying to create a standalone of this same stack under Livecode Community 6.7 leads to a number of errors as shown in the attached image.

Is there access to the standalone script, or is there documentation that describes these errors?

Your assistance is appreciated. -- Richard
Attachments
StandaloneErrorReport.png
image of the error report

WaltBrown

Re: Standalone error report Community 6.7 resolution needed

Post by WaltBrown » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 am

Richard, my understanding is that the community edition does not allow standalones, although it should have a better way of telling you...
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by sefrojones » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 am

WaltBrown wrote:Richard, my understanding is that the community edition does not allow standalones, although it should have a better way of telling you...
You can create standalones with the community edition. The only difference between commercial and community AFAIK is the licence and the community edition's lack of password protection.
talb3709 wrote: Trying to create a standalone of this same stack under Livecode Community 6.7 leads to a number of errors as shown in the attached image.
Have you tried saving the standalone with the most recent stable version? (6.6.2)

--sefro

WaltBrown

Post by WaltBrown » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks Sefro. I assumed standalones=closed apps. My mistake.
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

talb3709

Post by talb3709 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:05 pm

Greetings,

thanks for the assist.

I tried creating a standalone with Livecode community 6.6.2 with the following observations:

1) The primary road block with 6.7 was the error report; under 6.6.2 the error report was not created (a good thing.)

2) I discovered that Player is broken under 6.6.2 development environment; it took a long time to start up, it gave out a screech on the speaker, and then shot to the end of file without playing the video. I could drag the Hscrool bar back to the left and it would play properly. I do have script to set the scroll to zero at the beginning.

3) The standalone that is produced could not find the movie file. I right-clicked the bundled standalone, drilled down and discovered that my movie file was not in the _referencedFiles folder as was specfied in the standalone preferences (shown below), but ended up in a copy of my build folder "LittleVolpeBuildFolder" as follows:

Contents
Info.plist
MacOS
Externals
LittleVolpe2 ** this is my created application
LittleVolpeBuildFolder ** this is the build folder containing a copy of my video to me played
LittleVolpeTutorial2.mp4 ** the video file I am trying to use (also fails in same way with .m4v file type)
rrts.Home.rev ** a supporting stack I use
PkgInfo
Resources
Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 10.02.37 AM.png
screen shot of standalone preferences showing "_referencedFiles" selection
Best regards,
Richard

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Richard,
1) The primary road block with 6.7 was the error report; under 6.6.2 the error report was not created (a good thing.)
well, creating a standalone using a Developer Preview IS asking for trouble :D
2) I discovered that Player is broken under 6.6.2 development environment; it took a long time to start up, it gave out a screech on the speaker, and then shot to the end of file without playing the video. I could drag the Hscrool bar back to the left and it would play properly. I do have script to set the scroll to zero at the beginning.
The player object may have its flaws, but it is not broken!
What movie file is that? What codec, what size etc.
When and how do you load the movie into a player?
Or do you save the stack with the movie's filename set?
3) The standalone that is produced could not find the movie file. I right-clicked the bundled standalone, drilled down and discovered that my movie file was not in the _referencedFiles folder as was specfied in the standalone preferences (shown below), but ended up in a copy of my build folder "LittleVolpeBuildFolder" as follows:
Contents
Info.plist
MacOS
Externals
LittleVolpe2 ** this is my created application
LittleVolpeBuildFolder ** this is the build folder containing a copy of my video to me played
LittleVolpeTutorial2.mp4 ** the video file I am trying to use (also fails in same way with .m4v file type)
Hm, some thoughts:
If "LittleVolpe2" is in fact your standalone then it should reside in folder "MacOS"!
You should copy the complete folder "LittleVolpeBuildFolder" INCLUDING content (= your lost movie) to preserve the folder structure and thus the correct filename of your player.
How do you reference that movie fiel in the player?
I mean what does the FILENAME read?

Best

Klaus

talb3709

Post by talb3709 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Klaus,

Thanks again for your interest and insight.

for item (2) on the player:

The player object may have its flaws, but it is not broken!
What movie file is that? What codec, what size etc.
When and how do you load the movie into a player?
Or do you save the stack with the movie's filename set?

- The player worked fine for me using .mp4 and .m4v file types under 5.5 and 6.7. It did not play the movie under 6.2.2. There were no script changes made during each of these tests.

- I set the default movie file name as a custom variable in the player. So from the get-go the file name for the player is set from the custom variable. If I need to change to another file, I option click a button and then find the new file location which gets saved into the player custom variable.

for item (3) on file structures:

- I did not realize this BB application would delete leading spaces, so I now provide a snap-shot of two bundles so it is easier to see the heirarchy. The first Pix is the same bundle under 5.5 and 6.7 and you can see that the movie file was included twice, once under MacOS and the second where it should be under "_refrencedFiles"

- In the second Pix under 6.6.2, the video was included in the build folder which should not be there and instead of placing the video in the _referencedFiles folder as expected. (recall the screen shot in the previous post showing that I had specified "_referencedFiles" and checked the box.

- As for the player file name,
"_referencedFiles/littleVolpe2Tutorial.mp4" is all that is needed on 5.5 and 6.7.
6.6.2 required "littleVolpeBuildFolder/littleVolpe2Tutorial.mp4"

- Although I can use my optionKey to change the default movie path name (I had to because when I created the standalone it was defaulted to the "_referencedFiles" folder), it still screeches and stops as its initial activity. As I said, I can h-scroll back to the beginning and then it plays properly.

- Also, note that I have two copies of the movie file in the bundle doubling the size of the standalone with 5.5 and 6.7. I have taken to deleting the one at the MacOS level and keeping the one in the _referencedFiles folder. This is a bug reported in bugzilla somewhere.

Best regards,
Richard
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 1.01.13 PM.png
5.5 and 6.7 bundle
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 1.01.13 PM.png (31.2 KiB) Viewed 9578 times
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 12.44.27 PM.png
6.6.2 bundle
Best regards,
Richard

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:45 pm

You are referring to "_referencedFiles/littleVolpe2Tutorial.mp4", but the folder in your screenshot is named "Referenced Files"!

talb3709

Post by talb3709 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:31 pm

I beg to differ,

"_referenced Files" is the default, I always remove the space.

The screen shot I sent you shows "_referencedFiles"

also, the concern I have is related to a switch in folder names from what I entered in the standalone control window and what actually ended up in the bundle.

Your thoughts? Have you tired to make a standalone to test the player under 6.6.2?
Best regards,
Richard

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Richard,

looks like you have checked "Copy referenced files" in the standalone builder under "Copy files"?
I never used this option, but rather use relative filenames also in the dev environment!

Do this:
1. Put the video into the same folder as the standalone mainstack
Or maybe use a subfolder for your media, I use in my example "videos"

2. Enter this into the filename field for your player:
videos/name_of_video.mp4

Video will appear! :D
Same for images and audio files!

3. In the standalone builder "Copy files" click "Add folder" and select that folder "video".
This way the complete folder including content will get copied into the standalone and
the video will get found, since the realative filename is still correct.

Do NOT check "Copy Referenced Files"!

Best

Klaus

talb3709

Post by talb3709 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Klaus,

thank you for the work around under 6.6.2.

for the good of beginners (like me who are easily persuaded by documentation, dictionaries, and windows to fill in) how should these two bugs be fixed going forward?

a) that referenced files should never be selected under 6.6.2 and items to be included be added to a subfolder.
b) that files are doubled when added to the bundle.

Have I done enough? Should I post this to bugzilla?
Best regards,
Richard

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi Rihard,

you're welcome! :D
a) that referenced files should never be selected under 6.6.2 and items to be included be added to a subfolder.
No bug!

If you check "Copy referenced files" you must be aware that the filenames my change!
No idea how that feature is supposed to work, but in the end it is an user error!
b) that files are doubled when added to the bundle.
No bug!

You checked "Copy referenced files" and your video is referenced, so it got copied.
You also added a copy of the video via "Add file". Makes two vidoes 8)

So again: user error :D

OK, all this could be better documented for sure.

Best

Klaus

talb3709

Post by talb3709 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Klaus,

you're my hero. Thanks for the assist.

Richard
Best regards,
Richard