Life passed before my eyes

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Life passed before my eyes

Post by dunbarx » Mon May 16, 2022 6:06 pm

Working on my usual stack in my comfort version, 9.6.1. All of a sudden, no breakpoints, whether red dot or the actual "breakpoint" command would stop execution of a handler.

Now without those tools, I have noticed that it is very hard to debug.

Quit LC and trashed the prefs. Nothing changed. Restarted. Nothing. Tried v.9.6.6.. Nope.

And then no handler would run at all.

Back in 9.6.1, in the SE prefs, just listlessly fooling around, I decided to change the SE font. After all, why not? Then I returned it to what it used to be. Fixed everything, at least, so far. Now working happily...

Uh oh.

Craig

Cairoo

Re: Life passed before my eyes

Post by Cairoo » Mon May 16, 2022 6:27 pm

I've noticed similar symptoms on Windows when the LiveCode version update notification window appears in the background. What makes it even more frustrating is that the update notification window always gets hidden behind all other application windows so you never notice it until you reach the point where you're about to go insane.

FourthWorld

Re: Life passed before my eyes

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Font corruption can sometimes exhibit odd behavior. It may be a useful diagnostic measure to replace the file of the font that was used when the issue was evident. Also take note of its mod date.

I suppose before doing that it may be helpful to check this premise by setting the font back to the one that was used when the issues were evident to see if the same issues recur.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Talking LiveCode”