Remote Control a LC APP by another LC APP

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

simon.schvartzman

Remote Control a LC APP by another LC APP

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu May 05, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi team hope you are feeling good and full of creative ideas!

I'm trying to add to my LC APP functionalities like the ones provided by TeamViewer.

In other words I'd like to remote control my LC APP from anywhere on the internet, meaning I should be able to see what is on the screen of the controlled APP and also interact with the controls and buttons as if I were with the controlled device in front of me.

I guess what it would take to do it and maybe some of you have done something similar that could be used as a basis.

Looking forward for your customary bright inputs!

Best
Simon

mrcoollion

Re: Remote Control a LC APP by another LC APP

Post by mrcoollion » Sat May 07, 2022 12:41 pm

As far as I can think of possible solutions .

1) Make a duplicate interface of the application and let the client communicate all the changes to this interface.
See How to communicate with other applications using sockets : https://lessons.livecode.com/m/4071/l/12924
An example of a chat application can be found here (search for chat) : https://livecodeshare.runrev.com/search ... /toprated/

Or

2) Use an application like TeamVieuwer for taking over users desktop or application (usually used for support).
Here are a few free/low costs alternatives to TeamVieuwer.
1. Troop Messenger
2. Anydesk
3. LogMeIn
4. Chrome Remote Desktop
5. WebEx Remote Access
6. Join Me
7. Splashtop Remote Access
8. Ammyy Admin
9. VNC Connect
10. Mikogo

Regards,

Paul

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Sat May 07, 2022 2:11 pm

@mrcoollion, Hi Paul many thanks for your suggestions.

What I'm exploring is the possibility to avoid any of the alternatives of option 2 mainly because I want the controlled APP to run autonomously but I'm going to have a look at them since there are many that I never heard about and may be will satisfy my needs.

Once again, many thanks
Simon

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sat May 07, 2022 7:38 pm

One strong benefit to using something off-the-shelf: it'll not only save the development time, but the many years of experience needed to manage that level of security.

Though your intention may be to allow remote control of just one LC app, if the mechanisms allowing that aren't airtight you may find strangers doing the same. And with the richness of LC's language, elevating access beyond the application is a practical concern.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Sun May 08, 2022 1:24 pm

@FourthWorld, agree with you and I understand the benefits of a ready made solution but still exploring "tailor made" options due to a very specific need as follows.

As far as I know for solutions like TeamViewer to work the user (controlled APP) has to register/login and grant access to the controller APP and for non technical users (like the ones targeted by my APP) this could be a very frustrating experience and therefore a serious drawback for adoption.

Hope I'm making myself clear enough...

Reagards
Simon

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sun May 08, 2022 5:48 pm

simon.schvartzman wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:24 pm
As far as I know for solutions like TeamViewer to work the user (controlled APP) has to register/login and grant access to the controller APP and for non technical users (like the ones targeted by my APP) this could be a very frustrating experience and therefore a serious drawback for adoption.
When I worked at a bank back in the day, some customers would complain about having to sign a withdrawal slip and waiting for me to compare their signature with the one on file.

One of them demanded to speak to my manager about this frustrating delay.

My manager said, "Our tellers are required to do this to protect your money. But if you like, you can submit an affidavit which would allow our staff to give away your money to anyone who merely asks for it, with no signature required."

Equipped with that understanding of why the policy was in place, the customer never complained about it again.

---

Exposing control of a computer from across the open hostile Internet is a serious matter.

Allowing such control without explicit user intervention is something I would not consider.

Even if your application is designed for benign purposes, the mechanism of control can be discovered by others, from random script kiddies to organized crime. Everything connected to the internet is having its ports probed probably every day. Read your auth logs if the scope of penetration attempts is not clear.

We still live in a time when usability and security are at opposite ends of a spectrum. We may one day find a way to have both effortlessly for the user. But at the moment we don't. To protect our customers, and the systems our customers connect to, all remote control access must require explicit authenticated permission grant.

I would not advise anything less.

Ultimately this is not a technical problem. The challenge is to explain to the user why this inconvenience is beneficial to them.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Mon May 09, 2022 12:34 pm

Richard, I'm aware of all your considerations, many thanks for pointing them out.

Thanks again
Simon

Return to “Talking LiveCode”