Standalone builder change?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Standalone builder change?

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 03, 2022 3:36 pm

I promise I changed nothing.

All of a sudden, today, making a new "splash-type" standalone version of my main LC project, which I have done for years without issue, I am seeing an entirely different process. Where I used to have a handful of dialogs to dismiss, I now have dozens. Where I used to see only a flash of the main stack during the build, I now see it all the time for an extended time. I also see "standalone" dialogs that I have never seen before, such as "checking directory exists...".

I would not care much except to:

1- Determine if LC has updated my current version (9.6.1), trying to be helpful, without my knowledge.
2- Standlanoe building now fails fairly often.

Restarting does nothing.

Anyone

Craig

dunbarx

Re: Standalone builder change?

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm

And further, I build both a Mac and a Windows standalone at the same time. For years, those two totaled eight files. Now they total 15. The difference is in the number of Windows files that seem to be in the Windows folder. Before today, the entirety of the contents of the Windows folder was the executable, the mainstack, a "revPrinter.dll" file and a "revzip.dll" file in an "Externals" folder.

Now all the substacks appear in the Windows folder.

The standalone saved eventually. Just the way things work?

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 03, 2022 4:34 pm

Hi Craig,

did you add this function and check it before EVERY "pre-open/background-card-stack" script
in the stackscript and script of the first card?

Code: Select all

function isBuildingStandalone
   return (the environment is "development" AND there is a stack "revStandaloneProgress" AND the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0)
end isBuildingStandalone

on openstack
   if isBuildingStandalone() then
      exit openstack
   end if
Best

Klaus

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm
...Before today, the entirety of the contents of the Windows folder was the executable, the mainstack, a "revPrinter.dll" file and a "revzip.dll" file in an "Externals" folder.
Sounds like you did not build runtimes for Windows for a loooong time.
Yes, that is annoying but "normal" behavior... :(

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 03, 2022 4:39 pm

Klaus.

In fact, the main purpose of the build is for Windows. The Mac version is rarely used.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

Klaus.

LC now quits regularly.

So I put the gadgets into the mainstack and the splash stack. Will let you know, but I never needed these before.

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 03, 2022 4:46 pm

See my first posting!
Do you have any "pre-/openstack" "pre-/opencard" handler in your stack you build the runtime from?

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 03, 2022 8:01 pm

Klaus.

I pay attention to all your posts. 8)

Nothing worked. You know nothing of the large stack with eight substacks that does much essential work for us. I remade a standalone from a version of two weeks ago, and it worked fine. I was able to update that version with the fixes and new features in the most recent version, since that entailed only code modifications and a few control changes.

Back in business. And it means to me that the current version is somehow corrupted, since the splash stack is unchanged. But "corrupted" is not quite right. The standalone process, though it failed a few times, made valid standalones, though the substacks were all dragged out inside the Windows folder. It made me happy that on a Mac, the bundle holds everything.

I am happy to fix a problem even though I do not understand how.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue May 03, 2022 8:14 pm

You're always welcome!

stam

Post by stam » Tue May 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Not sure what your issue is specifically as description isn’t detailed, but when I build Multistack projects I find suppressing messages just before triggering the build lets it proceed without errors.

I guess that’s what Klaus is addressing with his script… I prefer not to add more text to my scripts if possible, so this may be another useful approach.

S.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed May 04, 2022 12:10 am

Stam.

If I suppress messages during the build, the process always fails. No surprise, I think.

But what do you mean by "just before the build?

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed May 04, 2022 9:03 am

To be precise, "my script" is the official LC advice for problems like and/or similar to this.

stam

Post by stam » Wed May 04, 2022 10:49 am

Hi both
By just “before” I mean exactly that.

In fact I’ll suppress messages before opening any of the app’s stacks - I’ll usually just open the splash stack- to avoid triggering the (pre)openstack/card handlers and then just trigger the build from the File menu (other ways like buttons will not of course wrk as messages are suppressed).

I did this because a) at the time I hadn’t seen the official advice (and since it works for me I don’t bother now) and was having repeated failures during the builds, which this completely fixed.

However as far as I can tell, the message queue should not affect the build process so I’m not sure why this is causing you failures, especially if the code above works for you.

I’m just relaying what works for me, but ymmv…
S.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed May 04, 2022 3:47 pm

@Klaus.
To be precise, "my script" is the official LC advice for problems like and/or similar to this.
I tried it. but whatever went haywire with this latest version of my stack, the additions did not help. When I reverted to an earlier version, and updated it by hand to include the changes in the latest version, all is now well, and without those new handlers.

I wonder what exact problems others have noticed where the addition helped.

@Stam.

I have found that suppressing messages during my build fails. Not sure if it is just something in my own setup or in the stack files themselves. It seems that LC uses LC to build a standalone, though, and it might need clear access to the message path to do its job.

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed May 04, 2022 4:56 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:54 pm
Now all the substacks appear in the Windows folder.
It sounds a little like you've accidentally chosen the option in standalone settings that saves out substacks to separate files.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Talking LiveCode”