Single window IDE?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Single window IDE?

Post by dunbarx » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 pm

Saw this on Kevin's keynote.

Some parts of having such a thing, as opposed to a sea of separate palettes, are attractive indeed.

But one aspect would prevent me from EVER upgrading to v10, and that is if the SE also had to be incorporated into that single window. Anyone know if this is in fact planned?

Craig

ClipArtGuy

Re: Single window IDE?

Post by ClipArtGuy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:38 am

The single window IDE was supposed to be part of the kickstarter. Screenshots of a "prototype" were prominently featured in the campaign. I doubt whatever they are working on now will resemble this though, as it's been nearly a ........decade. :shock:
117dbdeb72106130b0c233e454653d14_original.png
This was not the only undelivered promise from that campaign.

KermitSippingTea.JPG

stam

Post by stam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:04 am

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:34 pm
But one aspect would prevent me from EVER upgrading to v10, and that is if the SE also had to be incorporated into that single window. Anyone know if this is in fact planned?
Yep - Kevin showed this in his keynote. BUT - as i understood it, all components are detachable and you can have the SE running on a separate monitor if you wish.

In one example the main (middle) portion of the IDE had the GUI on top and the SE at the bottom. In another, the bottom half was split between SE and Dictionary! And dark mode too!

What's more impressive is that this IDE will be available via the web as well, and you'd be able to run this on a tablet. HUGE. I lug around my laptop quite a lot mainly for LiveCode use nowadays -- if i could just carry an iPad instead that would change everything, as pretty much everything else i use is now well implemented on iOS.

If you haven't seen the keynote do try to catch it. It's literally my wishlist for the IDE come true ;)
Well, except for the massive push on web apps - i'm still keen on native apps, but we'll see... native apps seem just a bit more tangible to me.

I must say i'm pretty stoked about the road map in Kevin's keynote, and it's clear there is a massive transformation going forward and pulling the IDE kicking and screaming into the 21st century...

Stam

-- edit --
some low-res screenshots taken from the keynote video, with the prototypes Kevin showed:
split.jpg
dark.jpg

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:18 am

I must say i'm pretty stoked about the road map in Kevin's keynote
Some us were stoked by a roadmap a while back . . .

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:36 am

At the risk of repeating things . . .

It has been pointed out many, many times that the GUI of the IDE can be "mucked around"
by anyone who wants to make virtually what ever sort of IDE they want.

If a single window be such a sort after feature why has someone not put one together already?

As some people at least seem perfectly comfortable with the current IDE it is to be hoped
that, while LiveCode may introduce a single window IDE, it might be one of two options
available to users; the other one being the current IDE.

Just for the sake of argument:

Yesterday, working on my Devawriter Pro, I had the main stack open, 3 helper stacks and the messageBox on
my main (central monitor). It was extremely useful to park the revTools stack off to the left on my left-hand monitor,
and extremely useful to have 2 scriptEditor windows open on my right-hand monitor: had these all been smushed
together on my central monitor (and, no, I cannot afford to go out and buy one of those whopper monitors)
life would have been far less pleasant.
-
Threesome.png
Threesome.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 4492 times

stam

Post by stam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:02 am

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:36 am
At the risk of repeating things . . .
You do make me laugh Richmond - It’s not a “risk” if it’s a certainty ;)
richmond62 wrote:
If a single window be such a sort after feature why has someone not put one together already?
Literally EVERY major IDE follows this paradigm, and often coming from a background of older interfaces using palettes. So the counter argument is what makes LC so different that this can’t work?
At the end of the day, LC will want to draw in new users and hopefully devs from other languages. Where this type of interface will be expected. And it’s a preferred option for those who work on laptops as it’s a smoother way to work on a single screen.

The other exciting aspect of this is that it will run in a browser, and work on tablets etc.
richmond62 wrote:
As some people at least seem perfectly comfortable with the current IDE it is to be hoped that, while LiveCode may introduce a single window IDE, it might be one of two options
available to users; the other one being the current IDE.
Some people <> all people or even most people.
But Kevin did specify all the panes of the single window interface are “dockable” and I understood that you would be able to remove these to display on separate screens - I think there was a specific question about that.

I for one welcome our new single-window overlord ;)

stam

Post by stam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:05 am

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:18 am
I must say i'm pretty stoked about the road map in Kevin's keynote
Some us were stoked by a roadmap a while back . . .
Have you seen the Keynote Richmond? --edited!
Many things were announced and shown that came as a complete surprise to everyone.
While I found the previously announced roadmap interesting I honestly can’t say I was stoked about it. You may want to see the keynote if you haven’t already…
Last edited by stam on Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am

Who is Raymond?

My name is Richmond, "Stanimir". 8)

No, I have not seen the keynote as I have not paid for the conference.

I do not have the money, nor do I have the time as I run a fulltime EFL school to put food in my fridge.

stam

Post by stam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:51 pm

Hah! sorry, that's what happens when i try to multitask and autocorrect kicks in... Of course I know your name and have amended the post.
Hopefully LC will share the keynote presentation more widely outside of a paywall...

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:51 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:15 am
No, I have not seen the keynote as I have not paid for the conference.
It might be wise to reserve judgment until you know what is being proposed. I'm also excited about the changes, it opens up whole new doors. Our opportunities are greatly expanded. This will be a major update for both the IDE and the feature set.

Note that the changes will happen incrementally over the next year or so. Those who want to follow the progress can subscribe to the LC Global online sessions starting next month. Many of the changes are already underway and some are nearly completed.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:29 pm

It might be wise to reserve judgment until you know what is being proposed.
you are, as always, quite right, and I do apologise for jumping the gun a bit.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:18 pm

I wish I'd taken a screenshot of the proposed IDE. It looks fantastic, and as long as we retain the ability to detach windows (which it will) then it's ideal; modern, attractive, and compact. The proposed layout will work great on small, single-screen machines like laptops while still providing options for those of us who like to separate out windows or use multiple monitors.

Being so accustomed to the IDE we've had for so long, I was sceptical about any big changes but I was wrong. (So you see, I'm not always right. Ask my husband.) :)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

stam

Post by stam » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:08 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:18 pm
I wish I'd taken a screenshot of the proposed IDE. It looks fantastic, and as long as we retain the ability to detach windows (which it will) then it's ideal; modern, attractive, and compact. The proposed layout will work great on small, single-screen machines like laptops while still providing options for those of us who like to separate out windows or use multiple monitors.
I posted some screen shots earlier in this thread…

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:57 am

About a year ago, there was a forum thread which discussed a single window IDE, and there was some division of opinion about it.

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35723

It would be nice to have known back then that the IDE was on the redevelopment roadmap, just along the lines of "we'll be working on it, making the layout more modern and user friendly. We think you'll like it."

I think I am going to love it.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:22 am

I think I am going to love it.
My feeling is that it may be loveable on large monitors, but teaching LiveCode on
1024 by 720 monitors might be unloveable.

As I am probably going to use the last Community edition of LC to get started this summer
(maybe show them the new IDE towards the end of the course) this will not be a big concern for myself,
but for schools in "more western airts" who feel it is important to be slap-bang up-to-date it may be.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”