Single window IDE?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SparkOut

Re: Single window IDE?

Post by SparkOut » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:39 am

I ONLY use on a laptop (no external monitor) and find the floating palettes a pain myself, and would definitely prefer the expected new IDE design.

Each user has their own thoughts (as expressed in the diversity of opinions from that older thread).

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:29 am

Each user has their own thoughts
I wonder if you might not amend that to something like the following:

Each user has their own thoughts tempered by their use-cases.

And, as use-cases can be quite a few, it does not seem a bad idea to share thoughts about them as well
as one's personal likes and dislikes.

I can see myself using a Single windows IDE at home, on my machine connected to 3 largish monitors, if the situation
(i.e the type of programming/Interface design fits) is right, and, as I stated earlier, not using it in my school with cramped
monitors.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:08 pm

One cool thing is that you can click buttons to hide/show different IDE elements as needed. So if you're doing layout the tools palette is docked on the left and when you're done it can be out of sight or replaced by a different palette. The script editor can be shown in a resizeable pane at the bottom or the side, or torn off to stand alone in its own window. Actually, all palettes can be torn off and dragged to your preferred location on screen, which would make it behave as you're used to now.

The tools icons will be updated to be more modern and attractive. The whole IDE looks fresh and far less confusing. Kevin said the current IDE is off-putting for new users and the idea is to present a simpler and more enticing interface that still retains all the functionality we have now, plus new enhancements.

Also, it's designed to accommodate those cramped monitors so that everything is easily accessible without the clutter.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:43 pm

There is a difference between demoability and usability, but at this point demoability is a higher priority for new customer acquisition, as usability is often addressed by the ease of IDE modification.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Talking LiveCode”