Windows 11 Help

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SparkOut

Re: Windows 11 Help

Post by SparkOut » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:28 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:00 pm
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36894
I'm not sure this is the same problem but the OP also has a new Dell, LC worked for a while and now doesn't. Could there be a connection?
in this case, I strongly suspect the LiveCode auto updater is preventing the LiveCode exe from firing up properly with a hidden window. Not guaranteed, but it happens all the time on Windows.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:44 pm

So for my client's users, could it be possible that they also have an invisible app? Someone on the mailing list suggested something similar when I asked about the problem a week or two ago. Our users are extremely naive about computer operation but maybe we should talk them through looking at the task manager?

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Mike here has already done that. :(
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:46 pm

I've never known a compiled standalone to have this issue. It's the auto updater (LiveCode installer) process that stops the IDE from opening properly. Hence I suspect they are different problems. But that's just my suspicion.
If you can get any vaguely tech savvy user to go through checks, it would certainly not hurt to look at the Task Manager processes, but I would first investigate the event log if possible.

no1g8tor96
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by no1g8tor96 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:47 am

New Update. A friend who i share a couple of my apps with is now having the same thing happen.

This is going to be the 2022 pandemic if this does not get figured out. Maybe a little exagerated but its real and I cant use my apps.

I emailed Livecode tonight and hope they get back quick. They usually do as Heather is great about helping me out.

But wanted to let you know its now on others that I know of and they are not the same machines Brand and config. Just windows 11.

ALSO....I dont have any Livecode services running that I can see in the background. I did not even have LiveCode loaded on this machine. Just the Apps when this started. I have compiles with latest version and still nothing.

THanks again for any help resolving this as I need these to work.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:42 am

I need it too, we had another couple of support requests come in over the weekend. Can you submit a bug report and let us know the number? I'll add my comments. It's getting serious.

BTW, does safe mode help?

Edit: never mind, I entered a bug report myself. Please add your comments: https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23659

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:39 pm

@Mike, do you have a printer installed? We have a response in the bug report with a suggestion that having no designated printer may be causing a problem.

no1g8tor96

Post by no1g8tor96 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:20 pm

UPDATE!!! '

Today I uninstalled One Drive and Bitlocker and still did not work.

I DID get into Safe Mode now that bitlocker is disabled and GOOD NEWS!!!!! IT WORKS.

So this means that its a process kicking it out. Which one....Don't know.

I do have a printer installed and keep disabling everything and nothing works.

I sent a message to Heather that they can have permission to call me and set up a remote desktop session so they can look at my computer and see whats going on. Maybe they can find it. Its only Live code Files and nothing else.

WIll see

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Fantastic, we couldn't get any of the students to try safe mode. Please enter your results in the bug report, as Mark Waddingham is on the case and is looking for feedback. If anyone looks at your computer it should be him. He knows the engine inside and out.

no1g8tor96

Post by no1g8tor96 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 pm

Well....just got off with Panos and we figured out the issue....

PRINT SPOOLER is causing the problem.

We went to services and stopped it and the programs ran. Turned it back on and NO GO>

He is going to post it in the bug report and will get back with fixes.

No other resolution was found or discussed but this is def the problem.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:07 pm

Mike,

do your standalones have the printing library included?

Matthias

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:33 pm

@no1g8tor96: I posted a further update on the bug report if you could take a look when you get a moment that would be great.

I'm still not sure what the issue is exactly (as the IDE runs) but at least we've made some progress, i.e. specifically confirming it is to do with the print subsystem - and more specifically must be related to the initial system calls the engine makes.

The main oddity is that the IDE engine and standalone engine do *exactly* the same startup (as in, the same code runs) before they diverge. However, something is obviously still wrong even in the IDE running on your machine as 'answer printer' does not do anything. This should only be the case if there are no printers installed and/or there is no default printer set (and I can't see how you cannot have a default printer set - as Windows will rechoose one if you delete them!).

@matthiasr: This isn't anything to do with the printing library - that's just a script library. This is something on these systems which is causing a problem when the engine starts up.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:36 pm

@Mike, thank you so much for pushing through this, and to the team for investigating. You were the only person with both the problem and the experience to help troubleshoot, and I know our users would appreciate that if they only knew. I do.

no1g8tor96

Post by no1g8tor96 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:59 pm

Fixed it on my PC. I uninstalled the OEM driver that was installed to make the printer work.

I then went to Epson and got their driver and installed and works fine. Programs run fine now.

My Epson Printer is model ET-3750.

The reason why most installs work is that they have not installed a printer yet.

I dont know if its just EPSON printers but might be others using OEM drivers.

Hope this helps everyone having issues. Mine is solved but still think its a bug with LiveCode somewhere.

Thanks

Mike

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:50 am

LCMark wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:33 pm

@matthiasr: This isn't anything to do with the printing library - that's just a script library. This is something on these systems which is causing a problem when the engine starts up.
Just asked, so i could try to create a similar standalone to test here. I've tested some of my older standalones on several Windows 11 machines (hardware and vm) and could not reproduce it. But that does not assure that it does not happen on one of my customers machines.

I wonder if the Windows event log doesn't show anything about it.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:06 pm

@Mike: Thank you SO MUCH. This is great news.

@Matthias: On the first page of this thread Mike reports an entry in the Windows event log. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36870#p213956

Return to “Talking LiveCode”