Windows 11 Help

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

matthiasr
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Windows 11 Help

Post by matthiasr » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:01 pm

Hi Jaqcue,

seems no1g8tor96 missed your question.

So please let me explain what (s)he did:

(s)he used the Microsoft Windows 11 Media Creation tool to create a Windows 11 Installer ISO file and used it to upgrade the existing Windows 11 Installation with the option to keep the user data and programs.

The Media Creation tool can be downloaded from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows11
Click on the download button in the middle of the page under Create Windows 11 Installation Media.

But maybe it's sufficient to just check for damaged Windows files using SFC.exe. See my earlier post in this thread.

Matthias

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:13 pm

Thanks Matthias, I appreciate the response. That's probably too difficult for the users we have. We've just received a few more support tickets with the same problem, I think we're up to 6 or 7 now. I've suggested they try booting into safe mode just to see if that helps. If the app launches that way then I guess we'll have to figure out what's on their machines that is causing the problem.

I'm a little at a loss where to go from here. No one else has been able to reproduce the problem.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:18 pm

Unfortunately i am also not able to reproduce it with one of my older standalones.

Do you know which Livecode version was used for those standalones? Did they include any externals e.g. DB or tsNet?
Did you create the Windows standalones on macOS or Win?
Did you code sign the Windows standalones?

I could try to build a sample app with exact the same LC version and externals and see if they work here on my Win11 vm.

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 am

You're very kind Matthias.

Built with LC 9.6.1 (1 year ago)
DLLs:
  • revbrowser
    tsNet-x86_64 (for 64-bit)
    tsNet-x86 (for 32-bit)
    revSecurity
Created both 32-bit and 64-bit apps on Mac
Code signed

But...I'd forgotten I built two versions for Windows. If they were using the wrong bitness, would that be the problem?

Edit: It can't be the problem after all, the only version available on the web site is the 64-bit build.

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:11 pm

Jacque,

i've created now test standalones with LC 9.6.1 Business with tsNet,revsecurity and revBrowser and as an alternative with the browser widget, which uses CEF.
I code signed with SHA256 signature and also tried with dual code signing SHA256/SHA1.

Each version opened fine without any problem here under Windows 11

So i wonder if it is something with security software running on the customers machines. I am using F-Secure as anti-virus and firewall solution.
Do you know if your customers are using the MS defender firewall and antivirus?

I could then check this also.

Regards,
Matthias

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:16 pm

I suggested to support that they ask about virus utilities, I hope that will tell us something. I also suggested the user boot into safe mode and see if that works. Because the number of users with problems are so small compared to the total user population I think it must be something on their computer.

But all these users have been running the same copy of the same app since January without any issues. It was only after the most recent Win 11 update that the app would not open. So there must be something in that update that changed. I don't know how to find out what that was, especially since it affects so few users.

BTW, if it were the virus utility, wouldn't it give a warning to the user? They don't report any warnings.

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:44 pm

BTW, if it were the virus utility, wouldn't it give a warning to the user? They don't report any warnings.
Many av tools and firewalls have an automatic mode that disables/cleans or blocks automatically without any user interaction or information.

Matthias

no1g8tor96
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by no1g8tor96 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:52 am

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Had business trip and had a lot on plate.

I did use the media creation tool and it worked for a couple of days and now its not working again.

I dont have any third part Antivirus and have not clue what is going on. I dont even have LiveCode loaded on this machine. I code mostly on my mac and save standalone on it. On all the windows 10 machines i have i tried it and they work no issue. This is the only 11 PC i have an no clue as to why
this is happening. Im in the computer business and know a lot of things to look for and makes not sense.

Its not a stand alone EXE problem because i have some standalone EXEs from other companies and they run fine. I dont remember what exact version of LC i used to make these. I know it was last year and was a version of 9.

I dont know what to do at this point. I hate to go back to 10 as I really like 11.

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure this out.

Thank you

Mike..no need for the s....lol

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:51 pm

Did you check if there was one or more Windows updates after you've refreshed your Win11 installation?

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:18 pm

@Mike, do you have time to help troubleshoot? You're the only person I know who is having the same problem and who isn't a computer naif. Here are my suggestions:

1. If Windows Defender has a whitelist, add your app to it. Does that help? (I know zero about the built-in utility.)
2. Try it in safe mode. Let me know if that works. My theory is that something changed in the latest Win 11 update that is interfering. If so, we have to figure out what.
3. If you have the license, compile your stack with LC 9.6.6. If you don't have the license, send me the stack and I'll build it for you. If that works then I can update our exe too.

Yesterday we received another report of a user with the problem. I'm suspecting #2 above as the culprit since there are so few users that have issues and none of us can reproduce it.

Edit: I just heard that one of our users added the app to Defender's whitelist and there was no change. So we can skip that step I guess.

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:49 pm

Did you try to get it running with Windows compatibility mode?
Right click om desktop start icon and choose 'More Options' then choose 'Solve Compatibility issues'.
Or right click and select Properties > Select Tab 'Compatibility'.
Be aware that I translated this from dutch to english so it might be named slightly different.

Kind regards,

Paul

no1g8tor96

Post by no1g8tor96 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:25 am

OK so here is what I did tonight. I used 9.6.6 and saved as stand alone and still no go. I moved it to one of my windows 10 Machines and another machine that has 11 on it and it works.

Livecode itself installed and loads fine but cant run any of these programs.

Yes I did try compatibility mode for windows 8 and 7 and no go either.

I dont know. Im just pissed off. Everything else on this machine works fine. I dont want to have to wipe it just because of this but I need these apps

Any more suggestions would be good. Thanks.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:44 am

I can't figure it out either but I think you've made progress actually. If you have one Win 11 machine that works and another that doesn't, then whatever is different would be the problem. LC had an instance before where a single app caused LC menus to misbehave, it was weird. But this sounds somewhat similar, like something on the computer that doesn't work has an app or a background process that's interfering. I can't recall if you tried safe mode, I'll have to go back and re-read the posts. Seems like if it's a background process then safe mode would eliminate that.

Do you know what might be different? Is there a way to get a listing of everything that's running and compare the two?

We've been getting more support requests almost daily and none of us can reproduce it. Since our app is courseware and students have assignments to complete, they aren't happy and I don't blame them. Everything was working for them until an update sometime mid-March.

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:35 pm

Maybe someone can compile the original stacks again in a newer version of LC on a Windows machine for you if you do not have a license?
Maybe this would make it work ?

Regards,

Paul

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:00 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36894
I'm not sure this is the same problem but the OP also has a new Dell, LC worked for a while and now doesn't. Could there be a connection?

Return to “Talking LiveCode”