Livecode Vehicle Dashboard

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

hrcap

Livecode Vehicle Dashboard

Post by hrcap » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi Guys

Does anybody know the best way for LC to receive and display information from sensors... effectively allowing you to make a vehicle dashboard with speedo, revs, temperature, etc?

Many Thanks

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode Vehicle Dashboard

Post by dunbarx » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:21 am

I have used a hardware interface for 15 years, that connects to a Mac through the USB bus. It has a framework supporting a dozen different languages, including LC.

It can read from and write to hard-wired input and output channels, and contains a few other gadgets. That company no longer supports them. I bought the last two they had, and have used a dozen over the years for this and that, including commercial applications.

But I think there is still support for LC in Raspberry-Pi and Arduino. Do a search here for those keywords. I believe they can do similar things.

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Raspberry Pi code was a sort of "unofficially" supported side project, based only on open source editions, and without support from version 7.04 onwards (meaning no build after that would work, not just "at your own risk"). Hermann (sorely missed) did some great stuff with Pi devices, and recommended version 6.something (pre Unicode refactoring) for performance reasons. If you can get the correct LiveCode installer it will still work to build for Pi, and (although perhaps "under-resourced") you can run the IDE on a Pi - even a ZeroW.
Arduino doesn't have any direct compatibility with LiveCode that I know.
I have used Velleman K8055N/VM110N USB boards with a lot of success for projects. There's a thread on this forum about my journey with support from LC staff to use LCB to build a wrapper for the manufacturer's dll and can happily interrogate and control many things with it.
viewtopic.php?p=162707#p162707
The K8055N has apparently been replaced with this equivalent http://velleman.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p303_k8055n.html - the VM110N essentially was the same thing. I see they also have a compact usb card replacing that.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:20 pm

https://www.carloop.io/ makes some wonderful gadgets.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”