Exact name reference

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mhsu

Exact name reference

Post by mhsu » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:21 pm

Livecode's normal behavior for referencing controls is to reference the first control (in layer order) that matches. Is there a way (besides using control id) to force livecode to do an exact path match of a reference?

Example:
I have a group "abc". Inside group "abc", I have two controls: group "def" and graphic "myGraphic". Inside of group "def", I have another graphic, also named "myGraphic".

If I want to refer to the graphic "myGraphic" that is directly inside group "abc", how can I do that?
Normally, I'd write something like:

Code: Select all

put the backgroundcolor of graphic "myGraphic" of group "abc"
However, this runs into the issue that there are two graphics named "myGraphic" inside of group "abc". Livecode will return whichever one is first in layer order, which in this case, is the one that is a child of group "def" which is in turn a child of group "abc". Is there a way to tell livecode - I want to get the control with long name exactly matching? ie I don't want a control that has an extra group in the middle?

The reason I need this is because I am trying to programatically create controls, which might be nested inside of themselves. It would be really nice to refer to the direct child controls of a specified group. For now, the only workaround I have is to set a custom property that keeps the id of each child control when the group is first created. Then I have to reference my direct controls using:

// At creation time, before putting anything inside my subgroup:
set the uControlX of me to the id of control "x" of me
//To later refer to the control "x" of me, and not control "x" of group "y" of me
put the backgroundcolor of control id (the uControlX of me) of me
I would love to say something like:

put the backgroundcolor of graphic "myGraphic" of group "abc" exact
Where "exact" would mean "only look at graphic "myGraphic" that are direct children of "abc".

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Exact name reference

Post by dunbarx » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:09 am

Hi.

Apart from a purely theoretical exercise in finding ways to ferret out one or another from a number of similarly named controls, why put yourself through all that? Assign unique names to unique controls. Those that share certain attributes can be made into "families", say, field "x1", field "x2", field "x3"...

In other words, your question ought never need to be asked; it is untoward to have to deal with such a situation. It can only bring grief, and will always be difficult to manage.

Controls can be referenced by number, ID, and name. Each has their benefits. I use names, and to a lesser extent number, almost exclusively.

But perhaps you have your reasons? If so, tell me.

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

mhsu wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:21 pm
... I am trying to programatically create controls, which might be nested inside of themselves. It would be really nice to refer to the direct child controls of a specified group. For now, the only workaround I have is to set a custom property that keeps the id of each child control when the group is first created.
Hello,

I suggest you continue to reference controls by id. Is an exact name reference required in the handlers of the controls you are creating, or is this only an issue during their creation? If it is the latter, you can delete the custom properties of the controls once they are created. If it is the former, while the scripting is less straightforward, once it is working reference by id will avoid the potential pitfalls posed by having multiple controls with the same name in the same stack.

Cheers!
Rob Cozens dba Serendipity Software Company
Manchester, CA USA

Each new generation gives more attention to the man-made world...
and less attention to the world that made man.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:52 pm

there are two graphics named "myGraphic" inside of group "abc"
Ouch!

Couldn't you ensure that graphics of what we might choose to call the 'myGraphic' class
aren't named sequentially in order of creation: 'myGraphic1', 'myGraphic2'. 'myGraphic3' and so on?

In this way there would be very little risk of things getting confused and you could refer to
those graphics by name.

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:44 pm

mhsu wrote:
If I want to refer to the graphic "myGraphic" that is directly inside group "abc", how can I do that?
Here is another option. I don't know if it's better or worse depending on your specific needs.

Instead of saving the graphic id as a custom property, one could place a handler in the group script:

on graphicBackgroundColor
    return (the backgroundColor of graphic "myGraphic")
end graphicBackgroundColor
Then one could code:

send "graphicBackgroundColor to group "abc"
set the backgroundColor of [some control] to the result
Cheers!
Manchester, CA USA

RCozens

Post by RCozens » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 pm

RCozens wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:44 pm
If the above does not work try:

return (the backgroundColor of graphic "myGraphic") of me
[quote/]
Sorry, try:

return (the backgroundColor of graphic "myGraphic" of me)
Manchester, CA USA

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:28 pm

mhsu wrote:
Livecode's normal behavior for referencing controls is to reference the first control (in layer order) that matches. Is there a way (besides using control id) to force livecode to do an exact path match of a reference?

Example:
I have a group "abc". Inside group "abc", I have two controls: group "def" and graphic "myGraphic". Inside of group "def", I have another graphic, also named "myGraphic".

Normally, I'd write something like:

put the backgroundcolor of graphic "myGraphic" of group "abc"
However, this runs into the issue that there are two graphics named "myGraphic" inside of group "abc". Livecode will return whichever one is first in layer order, which in this case, is the one that is a child of group "def" which is in turn a child of group "abc". Is there a way to tell livecode - I want to get the control with long name exactly matching? ie I don't want a control that has an extra group in the middle?

The reason I need this is because I am trying to programatically create controls...
I have been unable to login to the Forum for weeks. But what you're trying to do isn't difficult at all. Years ago I worked on a tool that created apps from a specification.

Use this to get an object reference (long name) to address ambiguously-named objects in groups of groups.

function objInGroup pObjName pGrpName
  repeat with i = 1 to the number of controls
    put the long name of control i & cr after tList
  end repeat
  put quote into qq
  filter tList with merge("* [[qq & pObjName & qq]] of group [[qq & pGrpName & qq]] *")
  return tList -- should contain only 1 line, the long name of pObjName in group pGrpName OR empty if no such object in group
end objInGroup

put the backgroundColor of objInGroup("a","g1")
I make it a rule to pass objects around with vars using either tObjectLongName or tObjectLongID. Not only does it provide disambiguation, but this lends itself into manipulation of lists of them using the filter command.

mhsu

Post by mhsu » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tend to agree that the ideal case would be to name everything uniquely. I think the case where this wouldn't be possible is somewhat theoretical. My idea would be something like: I have a set of grouped controls, which functions as a tabbed group. All the code is prewritten as part of this group, with no knowledge of what is inside of each tab. Ideally, I'd like to make simple references to the "x" of me within the tab group's script, but given that I don't know what might be inside each tab, I would need to make sure all names are unique.

I think Bernard's script works perfectly for my needs -- I hadn't thought of parsing long names in that way. Thanks!

Return to “Talking LiveCode”