Table of Missing Features

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Bernard

Table of Missing Features

Post by Bernard » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:51 am

This may sound like someone denigrating LC, but that's not my intention.

Considering that as a cross-platform app LC has 7 different "runtimes" (if we include Raspberry Pi) and not all features work on all runtimes (though it may be as high as 95% do work on all runtimes), wouldn't it be an idea to maintain a list of those edge cases where this is not so? My reasoning behind this is that someone might only discover one of the edge cases some 100s of hours into development. If the edge cases were known in advance, then one could design an app differently up front.

For example, for 7 years "system date" doesn't work on Android. https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=11726

There are ways around this, but it might be better that someone starts off using that workaround early on rather than late in the day. Obviously many/most of these edge cases may be noted in the documentation somewhere, but with 1000s of pages of documentation, any one of us might not stumble upon that note until the hours of development are gone.

Moreover, the table of exceptions might help LC Ltd focus on some of those exceptions. I'm not suggesting that the years of something not working be highlighted in the table, just the fact of where it doesn't work.
Last edited by Bernard on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Table of Missing Features

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:48 am

That seems perfectly reasonable and a service to everyone.

stam

Post by stam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm

On the face of it very reasonable... but likely too time consuming to implement 'properly'.

There are a few obvious things that are easy to list. But many are not necessarily obvious and would probably need someone trawling through all the bug reports, verifying it's still a problem, checking all platforms and then keeping list up-to-date.

Not sure that's sustainable...

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:46 pm

I think one of the very basic and essential feature on mobile, creating a native scroller, could need a TAD more attention:
https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23177
I had hoped this would be fixed asap, since MOBILE is obviously top priority.

Return to “Talking LiveCode”