Aha. Some news about my double titlebar

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Aha. Some news about my double titlebar

Post by dunbarx » Tue May 25, 2021 4:36 pm

In making three small new stacks for another thread. I noticed that one window was constructed as shown. It shows my bugaboo double titlebar, (ostensibly because the lower one is in tab format) BUT actually containing two stacks presented as two tabs in one window. Works fine, and I can, er, tab from one stack to the other.
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 10.50.13 AM.png
I never want this and do not know how it was created.

I have been dealing with it and talking about it for a year, ever since it just became the norm one day. I can change to a single titlebar by clearing the "resizable" checkbox in the inspector. I can go back to the double by setting resizable.

So I tried clearing resizable with the tabbed double stack window shown, and the tab (stack) "dd" disappeared. When I set the "resizable" checkBox, "bb" appeared alone, with "dd" now in its own window. Just the way I like it. Or sort of, since both live in a double titleBar window.

The point is that I am annoyed.

Craig

PBH

Re: Aha. Some news about my double titlebar

Post by PBH » Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 am

Craig,

I feel your pain, I went through the same frustration for quite a while, but then I finally figured a way out of this mess by testing the hell out of the tabs, and finally adding a couple of system shortcuts.

The shortcuts don't always show in the View menu, they do occasionally, but I haven't figured out why it's unreliable, probably never will! They work (for me) anyway.

I've made a short video to show you how to have complete control over LC tabs. :D

Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/AUQ1I66po7E

Hope it helps.

Paul

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Aha.

That was so kind of you. :D I had no problem moving windows in and out of tabs, that is, without the required care you mentioned.

I think I must have inadvertently dragged one of my windows onto another without realizing it.

Anyway, thanks again. Now all I have to do is figure out why I cannot eliminate the tab format entirely, which is what I want. This is seen only in LC, nowhere else in any other program on my machine. As I said, the double titleBar goes away if I set "resizable" to "false". That is why I think it is strictly a LC thing. It is not present on any of my other Macs,, however, and that indicates it is my machine.

But clearing the resizable property separates the tabbed windows. If I have stack "A" and stack "B" tabbed together, and clear the resizable on "A", the windows split into two windows, with "A" having a single titlebar, and "B" keeping its double titlebar.

Still annoyed...

Craig

PBH

Post by PBH » Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm

Did you try adding the shortcuts in system prefs?

I made them global shortcuts so I didn't have to update them every time I updated LC, they don't seem to affect any other app that I've noticed, but that's how I can turn the tabs on and off anytime I want to, without relying on the unreliable view menu in LC.

Show/Hide Tab Bars would only appear in the View menu very occasionally, and I could never figure out what would cause them to show or not. It's also pretty annoying if you can't have a resizable stack without the extra tab bar.

Paul

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Paul.

Which system shortcuts? I see how to do it manually.

You don't mean the finder preference "open folder in tabs instead of new windows?

Craig

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed May 26, 2021 10:48 pm

I have the dock settings set to open documents in tabs "manually" and I've never seen what you get.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

PBH

Post by PBH » Thu May 27, 2021 1:00 am

The system shortcuts are added in the System Preference > Keyboard, choose the Shortcut tab, then App Shortcuts in the left panel and make them for All Applications.

There’s a screen shot at the end of the video I posted. They need to be formatted exactly as the screen shot to work in LC.

Paul

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu May 27, 2021 1:53 pm

@ Jacque.

I know. I am so jealous.

@ Paul.

AHA. So now I can collapse the thing without sacrificing resizable. Thank you.

Why this is the default on my machine the first place is still a mystery, but I am happy to solve a problem without understanding it.

Craig

Return to “Talking LiveCode”