Advertisement

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kingok

Advertisement

Post by kingok » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:10 pm

hi.
I would like to know how can i add ads to my app, and start earning money.
Thanks, Ofir
Last edited by kingok on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Advertisement

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:52 pm

I have been using LiveCode for 20 years and I'd like to learn how to make money from it as well.

I would suggest that you learn to walk before you worry about running. 8)

kingok

Post by kingok » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:54 pm

:) By "new" i mean i have been using it for 2 years. I have developed some apps, and i know the mechanics.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Then that "new" was misleading . . . 8)
i know the mechanics
Indeed: the ones who look after my car are usually quite friendly, and good for a cup of coffee.

BigameOver

Post by BigameOver » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:40 pm

Wait, so does it possible to put ads into our app?
I need ads for an android app

SmartCloud

Post by SmartCloud » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:41 am

No, they say "no bro you are fkd with your dreams and we no care fkngidt" livecode don't work on this and never do

"you learn to walk before you worry about running"

jajaja the worst sht of the world

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:31 am

How many total installs does your app have, and how many daily users?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:56 am

Interesting topic - I read Richard’s thoughtful and considered comments in other threads on this forum.

Abstracting Richard’s comments a a line or two, as I understand it, while it’s possible to make money with ads, it requires extensive effort to produce a quality app that will be downloaded & used enough to be meaningful, and also in turn requires strategic planning on UX, awareness etc. in terms of effort a mobile API for ads is probably the least effort. As Richard says, there is money to be made, but only the best apps make the best money.

On that note however I was sure I had seen API documentation for ads and indeed searching for mobileAd in the dictionary and indeed there are a number of commands and functions for this, eg mobileAdCreate, mobileAdDelete and so on.

However according to this post: http://newsletters.livecode.com/july/is ... etter4.php
This requires registration with Inneractive which looks like it may have gone the way of the dodo.

Can anyone comment on the mobileAd* LC APIs?
S.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:30 am

Last time I looked into it the world was still in a stupid place where every ad network had their own set of proprietary BINARY APIs. This led to things like LC taking the time to build out support for one of them,but when that fell down the prospect of doing that again and again with every network wasn't very tempting. If there's anything prefab from LC Ltd for ads I'm not familiar with it (though it could be because I have zero interest in ads).

LC Builder exists for exactly this sort of thing, allowing a scripting language to interface with specialized binary APIs. If ads seem really super exciting you could go that route.

The stupid part I alluded to above is the ad network fixation on binary APIs. The world is driven by HTTP/REST, and it's much simpler to work with. And most ad networks also provide REST APIs. But not for native apps, only for web apps. I don't know why, and I hope I'm wrong. It would obviously benefit an ad network more than anyone else to provide REST APIs for all apps, regardless whether the underlying engine is LC, or a browser, or anything else. And again, it may be that ad networks do that these days. It'd be kinda dumb not to. I wouldn't know, since I have zero interest in ads.

All that said, there are ways to make money in software. It remains one of the most profitable industries decades on. But ad revenue without a carefully researched and diligently executed marketing plan isn't one of them. (Look at some numbers here.)

And I'm probably not an average customer, but if an app distracts me with flashy dancing ads it better be the most amazing thing I've ever put on my phone for me to deal with that; with >3 million other apps to chose from, few apps are that amazing. And if it ever covers my screen with a full-screen ad I don't care how amazing it is, I'll uninstall it instantly. Life's too short to have my attention eaten away by ad networks with no taste, slim adherence to privacy laws, and little if any earnest interest in ethics. (And I haven't even mentioned malvertising.)

Just putting a price tag on the download will likely generate more money.

Putting a price tag on a subscription service worth paying for will make much more money (the SAAS Podcast is my lunch companion).

Either of those lets you deliver a clean design that delights instead of annoys, with less work for you and usually more money. And by denying data to ad companies you may even help save democracy (I wish I was exaggerating).
Richard Gaskin

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:51 pm

I couldn’t agree more. No one likes ads or ad company politics. I was really only asking as I found the mobileAd* APIs in the dictionary as the OP posed the question. But for me ads are too annoying (for both devs and users) and probably not a great way to make money.

There may be a revenue stream for it but at best it’s likely to be meagre and not sustainable as most users tire of annoying ads.

I think a much bigger revenue stream can be made with in-app purchases assuming devs can provide value for money - IAPs are ubiquitous, used frequently and they obviously do make money judging by, say, the mobile gaming industry (eg Blizzard is rumoured to have netted over $50 million in the first week of Diablo Immortal - a free game with IAPs. Of course that’s also because the app is of the highest quality of its genre even if it’s been ironically called Diablo Immoral for its IAP strucures ;) ).

Subscriptions or just a 1-off sale will probably net more money than ads as well, and again without irritating everyone and their dog.

It’s actually pretty hard to make the case for in-app ads…

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:57 pm

Actually I just realised this is a 2-year old thread that was revived by @SmartCloud’s attempt at sarcasm. I’ll shut up ;)

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:13 pm

Please don't shut up: I read your bit about IAPs with great interest.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Thread necromancy is an annoying waste of time. If you have current questions about IAPs or anything else, please create a thread for those in the appropriate section. This thread is now frozen.
Necromancy.jpg
Richard Gaskin

Return to “Talking LiveCode”