List of OAuth2 Application Accesses for Livecode

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

JereMiami

List of OAuth2 Application Accesses for Livecode

Post by JereMiami » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Is there a comprehensive list of what OAuth2 application accesses work with Livecode? There is Slack and Dropbox. Any more?

mrcoollion

Re: List of OAuth2 Application Accesses for Livecode

Post by mrcoollion » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Hello JereMiami,

OAuth 2.0 is the industry-standard protocol for authorization. This means that in theory any OAuth 2.0 secured situation should be supported.
However, if you are looking for examples I do not have more for you.

Regards,

Paul

JereMiami

Post by JereMiami » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 am

Thanks Paul-

I have had some success using the Dropbox API library in conjunction with the OAuth2 token provided by a user's Dropbox account. It is very smooth to use. I was looking for similar smoothness in others.

I was just wondering if anyone has found similar successes (or limitations) with other third party app OAuth2's other than the usual suspects, such as Dropbox, Slack, or Google Calendar/Maps, etc. using Livecode.

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 pm

JereMiami wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:51 am
Thanks Paul-

I have had some success using the Dropbox API library in conjunction with the OAuth2 token provided by a user's Dropbox account. It is very smooth to use. I was looking for similar smoothness in others.

I was just wondering if anyone has found similar successes (or limitations) with other third party app OAuth2's other than the usual suspects, such as Dropbox, Slack, or Google Calendar/Maps, etc. using Livecode.
Hi Jere,

Did you get the oAuth2 protocol working or are you using the access token provided by dropbox when you setup a "dropbox app"? If so, I'd be grateful if you could share some code on how you implemented that. I've got the access token (that dropbox provides) working but have not successfully implemented the oAuth2 protocol which would allow a user to give their permission to allow my app to access their dropbox account.

Thanks
Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

JereMiami

Post by JereMiami » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 pm

I use the access token and the dropbox API works as advertised. Is that what you were looking for? I can send you some examples for sure.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 pm

The only impediments I've found with LC's OAuth2 implementation weren't in LC, but in the needlessly-onerous app setup in Azure. If you run into any snags there getting the redirect URL to work let me know and I'll dig through my notes. Hopefully MS will clean up their UI at some point to address these issues.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:34 pm

JereMiami wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 pm
I use the access token and the dropbox API works as advertised. Is that what you were looking for? I can send you some examples for sure.
I wasn't looking for my own use so much (I have that working using the access token you get when you create your dropbox app) but rather, how to let a user of my app request their own dropbox account (to back up my apps data to). Here's the use case: a calendar or task manager. The user wants to sync the data across devices. Short of using a dedicated backend data server, the best alternative is to allow each device have access to the same datafile. I have this mostly working right now, the challenge is DB switched from long lived access tokens to short lived ones (they expire after 4 hours). If you have a long lived access token don't lose it. They are not giving them out anymore, but have grandfathered all of the existing ones.

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

Return to “Talking LiveCode”