Size limit to attach a file?

Anything beyond the basics in using the LiveCode language. Share your handlers, functions and magic here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Size limit to attach a file?

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm

Anyone know how large a file can be attached to a post? I tried with one of 700K and it was rejected as being too big.

Craig

FourthWorld

Re: Size limit to attach a file?

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Reviewing the PHPBB docs I've learned that this is governed by the PHP settings on the host server. It may be changeable if you submit a request to Support AT livecode.com.

That said, please consider the implications of users filling up the DB with large blobs, which is why the limit is in place.

Can you post the file to any other service and provide a link to it here? Can the file size be reduced?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Thanks, Richard. It was not that important. I was trying to be more like Richmond.

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:42 pm
Anyone know how large a file can be attached to a post?
Lots of things come to mind as ways to test this, to expedite, I created a text file of this thread, then copied / pasted it over and over until I reached 700kB (did someone say 1.21 gigawatts ?!) and was told that was too large.

I thereupon deleted text at a 3 page clip and saved each time , uploading and being told it was too large, until I reached a size of 259.8kB, whereupon the upload was successful.

So I would say that (or below) is probably a safe bet for successfully uploading a file.
dunbarx wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:31 pm
I was trying to be more like Richmond.
I'd much rather you try to emulate that rather dapper fellow who goes around calling himself 'dunbarx', after all, one Richmond is more than enough for ANY crowd :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Return to “Talking LiveCode”